We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Apply for variable license plates
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
Do you have two vehicles of the same vehicle class and with the same license plate dimensions?
You can get an interchangeable license plate for this.
As an alternative to the seasonal license plate, it allows further flexible vehicle use.
Examples of possible vehicle combinations:
- two cars
- one car and one motorhome
- two motorcycles
- two light trailers
Note: One or both of the vehicles registered with interchangeable license plates can also be classic cars with H license plates.
You cannot use the vehicles at the same time. The vehicle that does not have the full license plate may not be parked on public roads or parking lots, but only in garages or on private property.
Tip: Insurers should take the restricted use into account when setting premiums. Check with your insurance company.
Note: The variable license plate does not affect the amount of vehicle tax.
You or your representative must apply to the competent registration authority for the temporary license plate. The competent authority is the licensing authority of the district in which you have your main residence, place of business or branch office.
If an application form is required, you can obtain it in advance from the registration authority and fill it out at home. Depending on the services offered by your licensing authority, a download form or an online service via the Internet may be available.
The registration authority may require you to present your vehicles.
The registration authority will assign your vehicles the interchangeable license plates and attach the stickers (main inspection and stamp sticker) to the license plates.
Tip: You can usually have the license plates produced while your application is being processed. To do this, contact the private providers, which are usually located near the registration authorities. In the case of interchangeable license plates, these may have to be ordered in advance.
The registration authority will automatically inform your insurance company.
the registration authority in whose district you have your main residence, place of business or branch office
is the registration authority,
- for a city district: the city administration
- for a rural district: the district administration
The vehicles must be two vehicles of the same vehicle class with the same license plate size of the following classes:
- M1 (motor vehicles for passenger transportation and no more than eight seats except the driver's seat)
- L (for example motorcycles, four-wheeled light motor vehicles and certain four-wheeled motor vehicles)
- Trailers of category O1 (up to 750 kg maximum permissible mass)
In the following cases, you cannot obtain an interchangeable license plate:
- two vehicles of different classes (e.g. a passenger car and a motorcycle)
- Vehicles with
- seasonal license plates
- Short-term license plates
- Red license plates
- Green license plates
- Export license plates
The following also applies:
- You must not have any outstanding fees and expenses from previous registration processes.
If you have overdue payments of more than 30 euros, the registration authority may not register your vehicle until you have paid them. If the arrears are less than 30 euros, the registration authority can decide whether or not to register the vehicle.
- You must not have vehicle tax debts of five euros or more. Late payment penalties, interest and late payment penalties are also taken into account when calculating the amount.
- If someone is to represent you when registering your vehicle, you must give this person written authorization. This must also contain a declaration of consent that the registration authority may inform the authorized person about overdue fees and expenses. Your representative must present the power of attorney and identify themselves.
Which documents are required?
The application for the allocation of an alternate license plate relates to two vehicles and can trigger various registration processes (e.g. new registration, deregistration, re-registration with and without change of holder, re-registration relating to one or two vehicles).
The documents you need to submit therefore vary from case to case.
Please contact your registration authority for more information.
What are the fees?
Fees are charged according to administrative costs. As the application for the allocation of an interchangeable license plate relates to two vehicles and can trigger different registration processes, the fees vary from case to case.
Note: In the case of interchangeable license plates, the fees for registration, change of identification number, change of license plate type and transfer from another administrative district - with or without change of holder - increase by 6 euros per vehicle.
- § Section 8 (1a) of the Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV) (allocation of license plates)
- § Section 9 (2) no. 8 of the Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV)
- § Section 10 of the Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV) (design and affixing of license plates)
- § Section 1 Act on the Refusal to Register Vehicles in the Event of Overdue Fees and Expenses (Vehicle Registration Refusal Act) (refusal of registration)
- § Section 13 of the Motor Vehicle Tax Act (determination of the basis of taxation, proof of taxation and refusal of registration in the event of tax arrears)
- Fee schedule for road traffic measures (GebOSt)
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry of Transport Baden-Württemberg
Professionally released on