We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Apply for an identity card as a person under 16
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
If you have German citizenship, you can apply for an identity card. This also applies to children from birth. If you are under 16, you must be accompanied by your parents. Your parents or legal guardians will take care of the application for you.
Your ID card is valid for a maximum of 6 years and must then be reapplied for. A temporary ID card is valid for a maximum of 3 months.
The ID card will become invalid before the expiry date if
- entries are no longer correct or
- you are no longer clearly recognizable in your photo. This may be the case in particular with ID cards for infants or very young children.
Changing your address does not invalidate your ID card.
From 02.08.2021, the EU logo was introduced on the front of the ID card for newly issued ID cards. However, ID cards without this logo will not become invalid.
You can generally use your ID card as electronic proof of identity. This function is automatically deactivated for children and young people up to the age of 16. If you are at least 16 years old, you can subsequently have the function activated free of charge at the Citizens' Registration Office at your main place of residence or online via the PIN reset and activation service.
You can submit the application to your ID card authority at your main place of residence, which is usually the Citizens' Registration Office. Applications can be submitted to any other ID card authority if you have an important reason. You will then pay a surcharge.
Your parents or legal guardians must apply for the ID card personally and together with you at the Citizens' Office:
- If you are under 16 years of age, your parents will submit the application jointly if they have joint custody.
- One custodial parent can be represented by the other custodial parent by power of attorney.
- If you are the person for whom the application is being made, you must appear in person as the authorities will check your identity. You must also sign if you are 10 years or older at the time of application.
- Bring the required documents with you to the appointment.
- Children aged 6 and over will have their fingerprints taken for storage in the document.
- Your Citizens' Office will inform you when you apply when you can collect your ID card.
- You can arrange a collection appointment online, by e-mail or by telephone at many citizens' offices. You can find out which options your citizens' office offers on their website, for example.
Who should I contact?
To the municipal, official or city administration (citizens' office, formerly: residents' registration office).
To the diplomatic mission in whose district you are staying.
You can obtain an identity card if you are under 16 years of age, if you
- have German citizenship and
- are registered in Germany.
For applications outside your main place of residence:
- You or your legal guardian must have an important reason why you are not applying for your ID card at the Citizens' Registration Office at your main place of residence.
Which documents are required?
- Old identity document, regardless of whether it is valid or has already expired:
- old identity card,
- old passport or
- old children's passport
- if no old identity card or passport is available:
- birth certificate
- if applicable, birth certificate, depending on the local regulations of the authority
- if only one custodial parent is present:
- Declaration of consent from the non-custodial parent present
- if only one parent is present:
- Proof of custody
- Passport photo that
- current and
- biometric (exceptions apply for infants and small children according to the photo sample table)
What are the fees?
Fee: 22,80 EURPayment in advance: NoFees for the identity card Fee reductions or exemptions are possible for people in need. This is at the discretion of the identity card authority.
Fee: 10,00 EURPayment in advance: NoFees for the temporary identity card Fees can be reduced or waived for people in need. This is at the discretion of the identity card authority.
Fee: 13,00 EURPayment in advance: NoSurcharge for applications submitted outside working hours or if the authority is not responsible Fee reductions or exemptions are possible for people in need. This is at the discretion of the identity card authority.
Levy: 30,00 EURPayment in advance: NoSurcharge for issue by consular or diplomatic representation abroad Fee reductions or exemptions are possible for people in need. This is at the discretion of the identity card authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
You must apply for an identity card at the latest when you turn 16. Exception: You have a valid passport document such as a passport or temporary passport.
It usually takes at least 2 weeks from the date of application before you can collect your ID card from the Citizens' Registration Office.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community (BMI)
Professionally released on