We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Activate ID card with online ID function
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
The online ID card enables you to complete digitally offered administrative and business services online. Online ID is made possible by a chip in your ID card, provided the online ID is activated. For citizens who were 16 years or older when they applied, this chip has been activated by default since 2017.
If you apply for a new ID card and you are 16 years or older, you can activate the online ID card yourself. You will receive the required PIN and all related information by post in your "PIN letter". You can later replace the PIN with a six-digit PIN of your choice. You can do this when you collect your ID card and later at the Citizens' Registration Office or in apps for the online ID card, such as AusweisApp2.
If the online ID function has not yet been activated, you can have it activated at your local citizens' office.
With your online ID card you can, for example:
- Apply for BAföG online,
- activate your SIM card online,
- use the online services of Deutsche Rentenversicherung for your insurance account and
- carry out identification with PostIdent via the PostIdent app.
If you were at least 16 years old when you applied for your new ID document, your online ID is usually already activated. It is ready for use when you set the six-digit PIN you have chosen yourself. To do this, proceed as follows:
- After applying for a new ID card, you will receive the so-called "PIN letter" by post.
- Follow the instructions in the letter to set your self-selected, six-digit PIN for the online ID card. You can set the PIN directly at your local citizens' office when you collect your ID card or at any time using apps for the online ID card, such as AusweisApp2.
Who should I contact?
To the municipal, local or city administration (citizens' office, formerly: residents' registration office).
- You have a German identity card.
Which documents are required?
- Identity card
- AusweisApp2 and NFC-enabled smartphone or card reader
- Self-selected, six-digit PIN
What are the fees?
There are no costs.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
There is no deadline.
If the PIN is available, processing takes processing takes a maximum of 5 minutes.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry of the Interior and for Home Affairs (BMI)
Professionally released on