We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
You can obtain a residence permit as the parent of a minor foreigner if you come from a state outside the EU or the EEA and your child has the nationality of a state outside the EU and the EEA.
In addition, you should want to establish or continue a family partnership with the child in Germany (as a rule, a family partnership exists if you live with the child in a shared apartment).
Furthermore, the child living in Germany should
- a residence permit as a resettlement refugee, recognised person entitled to asylum or refugee or
- a settlement permit for humanitarian reasons, political reasons or reasons of international law
and your presence in Germany is required because no other parent with parental authority is staying in Germany.
The residence permit for parents to join a minor child is a temporary residence title. It is issued for the period of validity of the residence title of the minor child in Germany. If the residence title of your minor child living in Germany is valid for less than one year, your residence permit will also be issued for this shorter period.
Under certain circumstances, the Aliens' Registration Office may oblige you to attend an integration course. This will then be noted on your residence permit.
The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners authority and your concerns, it may be possible to apply via the internet. Find out whether your foreigners authority offers electronic application for the residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Aliens' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your supporting documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT).
- In the case of an electronic application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application to arrange an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the eAT.
- If your application is granted, the Aliens' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks you can collect the eAT from the Aliens' Registration Office.
- The eAT must always be collected in person.
- There are fees for the issuing of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
Who should I contact?
You can also obtain free advice on the topics of entry, residence and employment from the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" from the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad.
Telephone: 030 18151111
Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence.
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport replacement and if required for entry - an appropriate visa.
- Your child has not yet reached the age of 18.
- Your child is staying in Germany without being accompanied by a parent with custody.
- Your child has a residence permit as a resettlement refugee, recognised person entitled to asylum or recognised refugee or a settlement permit on humanitarian, political or international law grounds.
- There is no interest in deportation against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Which documents are required?
- Valid passport or passport replacement
- Current biometric photo
- Visa, as far as this was necessary for the entry
- Proof of custody of the child to be joined by the applicant
- Birth certificate of the minor child to whom the reunification is to take place
- Residence title of the minor child in Germany to whom the reunification is to take place
- Current certificate of registration
In individual cases, the Aliens Department may request further documents.
What are the fees?
Issue of residence permit: EUR 100.00
Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.
- Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence title, which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.
- The time and form of charging and payment vary depending on the authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- The residence permit should be applied for no later than eight weeks before the expiry of your still valid visa or current residence permit or - if you are legally residing in Germany without a visa - within 90 days of entry.
- Objection period: 1 month
about six to eight weeks.
Section 36(1) of the Residence Act
An appeal against a decision of the Aliens Department may be lodged with the authority named in the decision within one month of notification of the decision. The objection can be filed in writing, in electronic form and in writing.
If the objection is not upheld by the foreigners authority, an action may be brought before the court named in the notice of objection.
Applications / forms
- Online procedure possible in some cases
- Written form required
- Personal appearance required
Portal of the BAMF:
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry of the Interior and for Local Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Professionally released on