We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Applying for a residence permit to carry out a qualification measure with employment
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
You can obtain a residence permit to carry out a qualification measure if a recognition procedure has been carried out at a body responsible for the recognition of professional qualifications in Germany and the recognition body has determined that the qualification measures are necessary to
- establishing the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification with a domestic professional qualification or
- for the granting of a license to practice (access to the profession) in a profession regulated in Germany
Regulated professions are those for which special professional qualifications had to be acquired in order to enter and practice, e.g. doctors, architects, pharmacists. You can find out whether your profession is regulated in Germany, which laws regulate it and which body you need to contact to check your qualifications in the information portal "Recognition in Germany" (see "Further information")
Qualification measures include adaptation and compensation measures in theoretical and practical form (internships in companies, theoretical courses, mixed forms), preparatory courses for examinations and language courses.
In addition to completing a qualification measure, you can also take up employment without time restrictions if the intended activity during the recognition procedure is related to the professional knowledge required in the subsequent employment. Such a connection exists, for example, if you want to have your foreign medical training recognized and already want to work as a nursing assistant during the qualification measure or if you already want to work as a bricklayer or as a construction worker during the qualification measure to become a bricklayer.
For regulated professions, a license to practice the profession must have been granted or approved. The permit to practice the profession includes the authorization to practice the profession under professional law and the granting of permission to use the professional title.
The residence permit to carry out a qualification measure with employment is a temporary residence permit. It is issued for the duration of the qualification measure, but for a maximum of 18 months.
You must apply for a residence permit at the foreigners authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners authority and your request, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your foreigners authority offers electronic applications for residence permits.
- If you can only apply in person, make an appointment with the immigration office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your supporting documents checked (bring these with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- In the case of an electronic application, the Immigration Office will contact you after receiving your online application to arrange an appointment at the Immigration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is approved, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be issued.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can collect the eAT card from the immigration office.
- The eAT card must always be collected in person.
Fees are charged for the issue of the residence permit. The time and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
Who should I contact?
The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence
You can also obtain free advice on entry, residence and employment from the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" of the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad:
Telephone: 030 1815-1111
Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 16:00
The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and, if required for entry, an appropriate visa.
- There is no interest in deporting you.
- Your stay does not jeopardize or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- The body responsible for recognizing your professional qualification in Germany has issued a decision stating that you lack the practical or theoretical knowledge or skills required to achieve full equivalence and that adaptation, compensatory measures or further qualifications are required to establish the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification with a domestic professional qualification.
If you intend to work in a regulated profession, it must be clear from the notification that the adaptation or compensation measures are necessary for the issue of the professional license.
- You have successfully registered for a corresponding qualification measure.
- The qualification measure is suitable to enable recognition of the professional qualification or access to the profession.
- You have at least A2 level German language skills.
- You can submit a concrete job offer for subsequent employment after obtaining full recognition as well as a concrete job offer for the intended employment during the recognition procedure.
- The intended activity is related to the professional knowledge required in the subsequent employment.
- The Federal Employment Agency has approved the employment.
Approval is usually obtained from the foreigners authority.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance cover without claiming public benefits.
- For regulated professions, a license to practice the profession must be granted or approved if this is required.
Which documents are required?
- Valid passport
- Current biometric photo
- Visa, if required
- Deficiency notice from the recognition office
- Proof of at least sufficient German language skills at level A 2
- Proof of the intended qualification measure, further training plan if applicable
- Concrete job offer for subsequent employment after obtaining full recognition
- Concrete job offer for planned employment during the recognition procedure (proof by submitting the declaration of employment, see "Further information")
- Proof of livelihood
- Tenancy agreement
- Proof of your health insurance
- Professional license, if applicable
What are the fees?
Issuing a residence permit: EUR 100.00
Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be possible
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- You should apply for a residence permit at least eight weeks before your valid visa expires.
- Objection period: 1 month
about six to eight weeks.
§ Section 16d (1) in conjunction with. § Section 16d (2) AufenthG
Applications / forms
- Forms: Forms can be obtained from your foreigners authority; these may also be available online
- Online procedure occasionally possible
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- Federal government portal for skilled workers from abroad
- (English)Concrete job offer (declaration of employment):
- Recognition in Germany:
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs
of the State of Brandenburg
Professionally released on