We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Apply for a residence permit for freelancers
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
You can obtain a residence permit for freelancers if you wish to pursue a freelance activity in Germany. Freelance activities include scientific, artistic, writing, teaching, educational or other self-employed professional activities as defined in Section 18 (1) of the Income Tax Act (e.g. self-employed doctors, notaries, tax consultants).
If required, you must submit a professional permit. The professional permit is a state occupational licence that allows persons to work in a specific profession in Germany (e.g. medical professions, lawyers). If you do not yet have a professional permit, it is sufficient to prove that you have been promised one.
The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners authority and your concerns, it may be possible to apply via the internet. Find out whether your foreigners authority offers electronic application for the residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Aliens' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your supporting documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- In the case of an electronic application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application to arrange an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Aliens' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks you can collect the eAT card from the Aliens' Registration Office.
- The eAT card must always be collected in person.
Who should I contact?
You can also obtain free advice on the topics of entry, residence and employment from the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" from the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad.
Telephone: 030 1815-1111
Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence.
- You are in possession of a recognised and valid passport or passport replacement and - if required for entry into Germany - an appropriate visa.
- There is no interest in deportation against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You wish to exercise a self-employed, freelance activity in Germany.
- You are in possession of the necessary permit to exercise the freelance activity or you have been assured of the granting of the permit by the competent authority.
- If you have reached the age of 45: You can provide evidence of adequate old-age provision.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance cover from your own resources without recourse to public benefits.
Which documents are required?
- Valid passport or passport replacement
- Visa, if required for entry into Germany
- Current biometric photo
- Permit to exercise a liberal profession or confirmation of the granting of such a permit, if applicable
- Proof of the security of livelihood (e.g. equity capital, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
- Proof of health insurance
- Current certificate of registration
- If you have reached the age of 45: Proof of adequate retirement provisions (e.g. proof of own assets, acquired pension entitlements, business assets).
In individual cases, the Aliens' Registration Office may request further documents.
What are the fees?
Issue of residence permit: EUR 100.00
Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.
- Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence title, which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.
- The time and form of charging and payment vary depending on the authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before your visa or current residence permit expires.
- The residence permit is issued for a limited period.
- Objection period: one month
about six to eight weeks.
An appeal against a decision of the Aliens Department may be lodged with the authority named in the decision within one month of notification of the decision. The objection can be filed in writing, in electronic form and in writing.
If the objection is not upheld by the foreigners authority, an action may be brought before the court named in the notice of objection.
Applications / forms
- Online procedure possible in some cases
- Written form required
- Personal appearance required
Portal of the Federal Government for skilled workers from abroad
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry of the Interior and for Local Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Professionally released on