We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Apply for a residence permit to look for a job after completing a research activity
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
As a researcher, you have a legal right to be granted a residence permit for the purpose of seeking employment. The residence permit will be issued to you for a maximum of 9 months directly following your previous research activity. This will enable you to find a job appropriate to your qualifications. The aim of the search can also be self-employment. This residence permit allows you to work without restrictions.
You can only apply for a residence permit in person at the aliens' registration office responsible for your place of residence.
- You submit the required documents in the original and pay the application fee.
- The Aliens' Registration Office will check whether the conditions for issuing the permit are met.
- If all requirements are met, the Aliens' Registration Office will take your biometric data (photo, fingerprints) and order the electronic residence permit (eAT) from Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- As soon as the eAT is ready, it will be handed over to you by the Aliens' Registration Office.
- The foreigners authority locally responsible for your place of residence.
You have carried out a research activity in Germany, completed it and held a valid residence permit for the purpose of research (§ 18d or § 18e AufenthG). Further general conditions for the granting of a residence permit are:
- a secure livelihood,
- a clarified identity,
- possession of a valid national passport.
Which documents are required?
- Valid national passport
- Proof of a secure livelihood (e.g. employment contract and pay slips, bank statements, submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party)
- Proof of health insurance
- Proof of qualification (degree certificate, diploma or certificate from your university confirming successful completion of a course of study)
- 1 current biometric photo
- Please enquire at the foreigners authority responsible for you whether you need to submit further documents
What are the fees?
Fixed costs: Fee EUR 98,00
Fee: 98,00 EURPayment in advance: No
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Application before expiry of the current residence permit. It is recommended to apply 4 to 6 weeks before the current residence permit expires.
Application deadline: 4 WeeksAn interview 4 to 6 weeks before the previous residence title expires is recommended.
- The processing time can vary in the locally responsible foreigners authorities (about 5 to 6 weeks).
Processing time: 5 WeeksDepending on the local immigration office (about 5 to 6 weeks).
The legal basis, § 20 Para. 3 No. 2 Law on the Residence, Gainful Employment and Integration of Foreigners in the Federal Territory (AufenthG) can be found on the Internet on the following page
You can find detailed information on this in the decision with which your application was rejected.
- Administrative court action
Applications / forms
- Forms: none
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: yes
Information for skilled workers from abroad can be found on the Federal Government's portal
You can find the legal basis on the Laws on the Internet page
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg
Harburg District Office
Residents' Registration Office
Harburg Town Hall Square 1
Fax: 040 427907600
Phone: +49 40 428713849
Professionally released on