We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
The residence permit for the pursuit of employment with distinctive practical vocational knowledge was issued for a limited period of time. You can apply for an extension of the residence permit if your employment is to be continued beyond the period of validity of your residence permit.
Apply for the extension of your residence permit at the foreigners authority responsible for your place of residence at least eight weeks before the expiry of the time limit.
The same requirements apply to the extension as to the granting. In particular, you should continue to work in the IT sector and be able to demonstrate a certain salary.
When your residence permit was first issued, the Federal Employment Agency gave its approval. If the validity of the approval has expired, it must be granted again for the extension of your residence permit.
Under certain circumstances, you were obliged to take part in an integration course when your residence permit was first issued. If this is the case, this must be taken into account when extending your residence permit. If you have not yet taken part in an integration course, the Aliens Department may reject your application for an extension of your residence permit. If you have not yet completed the integration course, your residence permit will generally only be extended by one year at a time until you successfully complete the course or provide proof that you have been integrated into social life in some other way.
In the case of an extension, your residence permit will be limited again. The duration of the time limit depends on the duration of your employment contract or the period of validity of the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this was already excluded when the residence permit was issued or last extended.
You must apply for the extension of your residence permit at the aliens' registration office responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners authority and your concerns, it may be possible to apply via the internet. Find out whether your foreigners authority offers electronic application for the residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Aliens' Registration Office.
During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your supporting documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the renewal of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- In the case of an electronic application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to arrange an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the renewal of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Aliens' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks you can collect the eAT card from the Aliens' Registration Office.
- The eAT card must always be collected in person.
- There are fees for the extension of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
Who should I contact?
The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence
The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute as well as a valid residence permit for the purpose of employment with distinct professional practical knowledge.
- The period of validity of your residence permit will expire in the near future.
- There is no deportation interest against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You have a new employment contract or a new binding job offer with the same or another employer in the IT sector.
- Your salary will continue to reach at least 60 % of the contribution assessment ceiling in the pension insurance. In 2020, 60% corresponds to a gross minimum salary of EUR 4,140 per month or EUR 49,680 per year (limit applies to the whole of Germany).
The amount of the income threshold is published each year by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, for Construction and Home Affairs in the Federal Gazette by 31 December of the previous year (see further information).
- You can continue to secure your livelihood and health insurance cover independently without claiming public benefits.
- The approval of the Federal Employment Agency for taking up employment has been obtained or renewed (the approval is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office). For the approval, your working conditions (especially salary) must be comparable to those of a German employee in the same position.
Which documents are required?
- Valid passport
- Current residence permit
- Original of your employment contract or a binding job offer with salary information (please use the federal form Declaration of Employment Relationship )
- Current biometric photo
- Current certificate of registration
- Proof of health insurance
- Rental contract
What are the fees?
Extension of residence permit:
- for a further stay of up to three months:
- for a further stay of more than three months:
Under certain conditions a fee reduction or fee exemption can be considered.
Note: The residence permit in the form of the electronic residence title must be reissued for the extension. The fee for reissuing the card body is EUR 67.00.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- The extension should be applied for at least eight weeks before your valid residence permit expires.
- In the case of an extension, the new residence permit will again be issued for a limited period. The validity depends on the period of validity of your employment contract and the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.
- Objection period: 1 month
about six to eight weeks
§ 8 para. 1 in conjunction with. Section 19c (2) Residence Act
Section 19c sub-section 2 Residence Act (AufenthG)
Section 42 sub-section 1 number 2 Residence Act (AufenthG)
Section 6 Employment Ordinance (BeschV)
Applications / forms
- Forms: Declaration of employment relationship (uniform nationwide); further forms specific to the authorities can be obtained from your foreigners authority; these may also be offered online.
- Online procedure possible in some cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- Information on the residence of skilled workers without vocational or academic training, including IT specialists without formal qualifications, on the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (German): https: //www.bamf.de/DE/Themen/MigrationAufenthalt/ZuwandererDrittstaaten/Arbeit/FachkraefteOhneAusbildung/fachkraefte-ohne-ausbildung-node.html
- Information on the residence of skilled workers without vocational or academic training, including IT specialists without formal qualifications, on the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (English):
- This is how you can access the annual announcements of the Federal Ministry of the Interior on the minimum salary required for a residence permit for IT specialists without formal qualifications: Open the website of the Federal Gazette and enter the words "Bekanntmachung zu § 6 der Beschäftigungsverordnung" in the search mask there.
- You can also obtain free advice on entry, residence and employment from the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" of the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad.
Telephone: 030 1815-1111
Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 16:00
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry of the Interior and for Local Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Professionally released on