We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
The residence permit for employment in which there is a public interest, in particular a regional, economic or labor market policy interest, is issued for a limited period. It can be extended if the employment is to be continued beyond the period of validity of your residence permit.
Apply for the extension of your residence permit at the foreigners authority responsible for your place of residence at least eight weeks before the expiry of the time limit.
The same conditions apply to the extension as to the issuance. In particular, there should still be a public interest in your employment. A public interest in employment can be justified, for example,
- if there is a regional or supra-regional public interest in the products or services of an employer or if there is an undersupply of certain goods or services at the employer's location (regional interests). Supply or municipal policy reasons may also play a role here.
- if considerable investments and/or a significant number of jobs are created or secured; if the establishment of the enterprise is associated with a sustainable improvement in the sales or market opportunities of domestic enterprises or if it involves the establishment of a manufacturing plant for technically high-quality (future-proof) and/or particularly environmentally compatible products (economic interests).
- if the employment preserves or creates jobs (labor market policy interests).
The private economic, operational interest of an employer alone is not sufficient to establish a public interest in employment.
Your qualification is not decisive for the extension of your residence permit.
When your residence permit was first issued, the Federal Employment Agency gave its consent. If the validity of the consent has expired, it must be granted again for the extension of your residence permit.
Under certain circumstances, you were obliged to participate in an integration course when your residence permit was first issued. If this is the case, this must be taken into account when extending your residence permit. If you have not yet taken part in an integration course, the Foreigners' Registration Office may reject your application for an extension of your residence permit. If you have not yet completed the integration course, your residence permit will generally only be extended for one year at a time until you successfully complete it or provide proof that you have been integrated into social life in some other way.
In the case of an extension, your residence permit will be limited again. The duration of the time limit depends on the duration of your employment contract or the period of validity of the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this was already ruled out when the residence permit was issued or last extended.
You must apply for the extension of your residence permit at the aliens' registration office responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners authority and your concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your foreigners authority offers electronic application for the residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Aliens' Registration Office.
- During the appointment, your application will be received and your supporting documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). For the renewal of the electronic residence permit (eAT card) your fingerprints will be taken.
- In the case of an electronic application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to schedule an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office. During the appointment, your supporting documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the renewal of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Aliens' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Aliens' Registration Office.
- The eAT card must always be collected in person.
- There are fees for the extension of the residence permit. The time as well as the form of payment varies depending on the authority
Who should I contact?
The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence
The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport replacement and a valid residence permit for employment in the public interest.
- The period of validity of your residence permit will expire in the near future.
- There is no interest in deportation against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You have a new employment contract or a new binding job offer with the same or another employer.
- There is still a public interest in your employment, in particular a regional, economic or labor market interest.
- You can continue to secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage independently without recourse to public benefits.
- The approval of the Federal Employment Agency for taking up employment is available or has been renewed (the approval is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office). For the approval, among other things, your working conditions (especially salary) must be comparable to those of a German employee in the same position.
Which documents are required?
- Valid passport
- Current residence permit
- Original of your employment contract or a binding job offer (please use the nationwide standardized form Declaration of Employment Relationship for this purpose )
- Current biometric photo
- Current certificate of registration
- Proof of your health insurance
- Rental contract
What are the fees?
Extension of residence permit:
- for a further stay of up to three months:
- for a further stay of more than three months:
Under certain conditions a fee reduction or fee exemption can be considered.
Note: The residence permit in the form of the electronic residence title must be reissued for the extension. The fee for reissuing the card body is EUR 67.00.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- The extension should be applied for at least eight weeks before your valid residence permit expires.
- In case of extension, the new residence permit will be issued again for a limited period of time. The validity depends on the period of validity of your employment contract and the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.
- Objection period: 1 month
about six to eight weeks.
§ 8 Para. 1 in conjunction with. § Section 19c (3) Residence Act
§ Section 19c paragraph 3 Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 39 Paragraph 3 Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ Section 35 Employment Ordinance (BeschV)
Applications / forms
- Forms: Declaration of employment relationship (standardized nationwide); other forms specific to the authorities can be obtained from your foreigners authority; these may also be offered online.
- Online procedure possible in some cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
You can also obtain free advice on the topics of entry, residence and employment from the "Working and Living in Germany Hotline" of the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad.
Telephone: 030 1815-1111
Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 16:00
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry of the Interior and for Local Affairs
of the State of Brandenburg
Professionally released on