We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Applying for an extension of a residence permit to look for a job after studies
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
As a graduate of a German university, you have a legal right to be granted a residence permit for the purpose of seeking employment.
The residence permit will be issued for a maximum of 18 months directly following your studies. If this maximum period was not utilized when the permit was first issued, the residence permit can be extended accordingly. However, if you do not find a job during these 18 months, an extension is excluded and you are obliged to leave the Federal territory.
This residence permit allows unrestricted gainful employment.
You can only apply for an extension of a residence permit in person at the Aliens' Registration Office responsible for your place of residence.
- You submit the required documents in the original and pay the application fee.
- The Aliens' Registration Office will check whether the conditions for issuance are met.
- If all requirements are met, the Aliens' Registration Office will take your biometric data (photo, fingerprints) and order the electronic residence permit (eAT) from Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- As soon as the eAT is ready, it will be issued to you by the Aliens' Registration Office.
The foreigners authority locally responsible for you in your place of residence.
You are in possession of a residence permit for the purpose of seeking employment after successfully completing your studies in Germany. The maximum period of 18 months has not yet been exhausted.
In addition, you meet the general requirements for the issuance of a residence permit. These are in particular:
- a secure livelihood
- a clarified identity
- possession of a valid national passport.
Which documents are required?
- Valid national passport,
- Proof of secure livelihood (for example, employment contract and pay slips, bank statements, submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party),
- Proof of health insurance,
- Degree certificate, transcript or certificate from your university confirming the successful completion of your studies,
- 1 current biometric photo,
- Please inquire at the immigration office responsible for you whether you need to submit further documents.
What are the fees?
Cost range: Fee: EUR 93.00 - 96.00
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Application before the current residence permit expires. An interview 4 to 6 weeks before the current residence permit expires is recommended.
Approximately 5 to 6 weeks, depending on the workload at the local immigration office.
§ Section 20 (3) no. 1 and (4) sentence 2 in conjunction with Section 8 of the Act on the Residence, Gainful Employment and Integration of Foreigners in the Federal Territory (Residence Act - AufenthG).
You can find the legal basis on the Internet at Laws on the Internet
Detailed information on how to lodge an appeal can be found in the decision with which your application was rejected.
- Administrative court action
Applications / forms
- Forms: Application for a residence permit
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: yes
You can find further information on the Internet on the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg
Harburg District Office
Department of Residents
Harburg Town Hall Square 1
Fax: 040 427907600
Phone: +49 40 428713849
Federal Ministry of the Interior, for Construction and Home Affairs
Professionally released on