We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Application for a residence permit extension to search for a job after professional recognition procedure
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
If you have successfully had the equivalence of a foreign professional qualification established or have been granted a professional practice permit, you can be granted a temporary residence permit to look for a job.
The residence permit will be issued directly following your previous recognition procedure. An extension of the residence permit is only possible if the maximum period was not exhausted when it was first issued. If you do not find a job during this period, an extension of the residence permit is not possible. You are then obliged to leave the Federal territory.
This residence permit allows unrestricted gainful employment.
You can only apply for a residence permit in person at the aliens' registration office responsible for your place of residence.
- You submit the required documents in the original and pay the application fee.
- The Aliens' Registration Office will check whether the conditions for issuing the permit are met.
- If all requirements are met, the Aliens' Registration Office will take your biometric data (photo, fingerprints) and order the electronic residence permit (eAT) from Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- As soon as the eAT has been completed, it will be handed over to you by the Aliens' Registration Office.
The foreigners authority locally responsible for you in your place of residence.
You are already in possession of a residence permit for the purpose of seeking employment after a successful recognition procedure of your foreign professional qualification in the Federal territory, the maximum period of 12 months of which has not yet been exhausted.
Further general requirements for the issue of a residence permit are, in particular:
- a secure livelihood,
- a clarified identity,
- possession of a valid national passport.
Which documents are required?
- Valid national passport
- Proof of a secure livelihood (e.g. employment contract and pay slips, bank statements, submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party)
- Proof of health insurance
- Proof of qualification (diploma, certificate or attestation from your training company or educational institution confirming successful completion of training)
- 1 current biometric photo
- Please enquire at the foreigners authority responsible for you whether you need to submit further documents.
What are the fees?
Fee: 93,00 - 96,00 EURPayment in advance: No
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Application before expiry of the current residence permit. It is recommended to apply 4 to 6 weeks before the current residence permit expires.
The residence permit is limited to a maximum of 12 months including the extension period.
The processing time depends on the workload at the locally responsible foreigners authority.
Section 20(3) no. 4 and (4) sentence 2 of the Act on the Residence, Gainful Employment and Integration of Foreigners in the Federal Territory (Residence Act - AufenthG).
Section 8 (1) Residence Act.
Detailed information on how to lodge an appeal can be found in the decision rejecting your application.
- Administrative court action
Applications / forms
- Online procedure possible: no
- Personal appearance required: yes
- Written form required: no
You can find more information on the Internet on the Federal Government's portal page for skilled workers from abroad
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg
Harburg District Office
Residents' Registration Office
Harburg Town Hall Square 1
Fax: 040 42790-7600
Phone: +49 40 428713849
Federal Ministry of the Interior, for Construction and Home Affairs
Professionally released on