We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Apply for extension of a residence permit for job search after research activity
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
As a researcher, you have a legal right to be granted a residence permit for the purpose of seeking employment. The residence permit will be issued to you for a maximum of 9 months directly following your research activity. If this maximum period was not utilized when the permit was first issued, the residence permit can be extended accordingly. However, if you do not find a job during these 9 months, an extension is excluded and you are obliged to leave the Federal territory. This residence permit allows you to work without restrictions.
You can only apply for an extension of a residence permit in person at the Aliens' Registration Office responsible for your place of residence.
- You submit the required documents in the original and pay the application fee.
- The Aliens' Registration Office will check whether the conditions for issuance are met.
- If all requirements are met, the Aliens' Registration Office takes your biometric data (photo, fingerprints) and
orders the electronic residence permit (eAT) from Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- As soon as the eAT is ready, it will be handed over to you by the Aliens' Registration Office.
Locally responsible foreigners authority
You already hold a residence permit for the purpose of seeking employment following a research activity that has not yet exhausted the maximum period of 9 months.
In addition, you fulfill the general conditions for issuing a residence permit. These are in particular:
- a secure livelihood,
- a clarified identity,
- possession of a valid national passport.
Which documents are required?
- Valid national passport
- Proof of secure livelihood (e.g. employment contract and pay slips, bank statements, submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party)
- Proof of health insurance
- Proof of qualification (degree certificate, diploma or certificate from your university confirming successful completion of a course of studies
- 1 current biometric photo
- Please ask your local immigration office if you need to submit further documents
What are the fees?
Cost range: Fee: EUR 93.00 - 96.00
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Application before the current residence permit expires. An interview 4 to 6 weeks before the current residence permit expires is recommended.
Depends on the workload at the local immigration office.
§ Section 20 (3) no. 2 and (4) sentence 2 of the Act on the Residence, Gainful Employment and Integration of Foreigners in the Federal Territory (Residence Act - AufenthG).
§ Section 8 paragraph 1 Residence Act
You can find these legal bases on the Internet on the page Laws on the Internet
Detailed information on how to file an appeal can be found in the decision with which your application was rejected.
Applications / forms
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: yes
What else should I know?
Please submit an application for extension in time (4 - 6 weeks) before the residence permit expires.
Further information can be found on the website of the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad
Technically approved by
Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg
Harburg District Office
Department of Residents
Harburg Town Hall Square 1
Fax: 040 427907600
Phone: 040 428713849
Federal Ministry of the Interior, for Construction and Home Affairs
Professionally released on