We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Applying for a residence permit for an extension to look for a job after vocational training
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
If you have successfully completed school or company training in Germany, you can be granted a residence permit to look for a job.
The residence permit will be issued to you for a limited period of time directly after your previous training. An extension is possible if the maximum period of 12 months was not used at the time of first grant. If you cannot find a job during this time, an extension is excluded. They are then obliged to leave the Federal territory.
This residence permit allows gainful employment without restriction.
You can only apply for a residence permit in person at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- You submit the required documents in the original and pay the application fee.
- The Foreigners' Registration Office checks whether the prerequisites for grant are met.
- If all requirements are met, the Foreigners' Registration Office will record your biometric data (photo, fingerprints) and order the electronic residence title (eAT) from Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- As soon as the eAT has been completed, it will be handed over to you by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
You must already be in possession of a residence permit for the purpose of looking for a job after successfully completing school or company training in Germany, which has not yet exhausted the maximum period of 12 months.
In addition, you must meet the general requirements for obtaining a residence permit. These are in particular:
- a secure livelihood,
- a clear identity,
- Possession of a valid national passport.
Which documents are required?
- Valid national passport
- Proof of secure livelihood (e.g. employment contract and payslips, bank statements, submission of a declaration of commitment by third parties)
- Proof of health insurance
- Proof of qualification (graduation certificate, certificate or attestation of your training company or educational institution on the successful completion of an apprenticeship
- 1 recent biometric photo
- Please ask the Foreigners' Registration Office responsible for you whether you need to submit further documents.
What are the fees?
Fee: 93,00 - 96,00 EURPayment in advance: No
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Application before the expiry of the current residence permit. An interview 4 to 6 weeks before the previous residence permit expires is recommended. The residence permit is limited to 12 months, including an extension.
The processing time depends on the workload in the locally responsible immigration authority.
§ 20 (3) no. 3 and (4) sentence 2 of the Act on the Residence, Employment and Integration of Foreigners in the Federal Territory (Residence Act – AufenthG)
§ 8 paragraph 1 Residence Act
Detailed information on how to lodge an objection can be found in the decision rejecting your application.
- Administrative court action.
Applications / forms
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: yes
You can find more information on the Internet on the Federal Government's portal page for skilled workers from abroad
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg
District Office Harburg
Harburger Rathausplatz 1
21073 Hamburg, Germany
fax: 040 42790-7600
Phone: +49 40 428713849
Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community
Professionally released on