We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Applying for recognition as a geriatric care assistant with a foreign professional qualification
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
You can have a qualification as a geriatric care assistant from abroad officially recognized in Germany.
Please note: Your qualification must be officially recognized in the country in which you completed your training. Informal or non-formal qualifications cannot be officially recognized in Germany.
You apply for recognition from the competent authority in the federal state in which you wish to work. To do this, you must submit an application with all the necessary documents to the relevant state authority.
The competent authority will then carry out an equivalence assessment. The competent authority will compare your professional qualification from abroad with the professional qualification in the federal state. Important criteria for the comparison are the content and duration of the training.
You will receive a decision on the outcome of the procedure. The decision will state any existing and any missing professional qualifications.
- You submit an application for recognition to the competent body. You must submit all the necessary documents in the form of copies to the competent body.
- The competent body will then check: Is your foreign professional qualification equivalent to the professional qualification in the federal state? The competent body will compare the qualifications using certain criteria.
- Important criteria are the content and duration of the training.
- The competent body also takes your professional experience, your other certificates of competence and qualifications into account when assessing equivalence.
- You will receive a notification with the result of the procedure.
- You will receive recognition if your professional qualification and the professional qualification in the federal state are equivalent.
- Sometimes there are significant differences between the professional qualifications.
- The differences are listed in your notification.
- You can use this notification to obtain further qualifications.
- If your professional qualification is not equivalent at all, you will not receive recognition or your application will be rejected.
Who should I contact?
Schleswig-Holstein Institute for Vocational Education and Training
- Equivalence of your professional qualification, proven by appropriate documents.
- You want to work in the federal state.
- You meet the personal requirements for practicing the profession.
- You have the necessary language skills.
- You are personally reliable and fit for the profession.
Which documents are required?
- Application form
- Curriculum vitae
- Proof of identity (identity card or passport)
- Proof of your professional qualification (e.g. certificates, professional certificate)
- Proof of content and duration of training
- Proof of professional experience in the profession
- Proof of other relevant qualifications
- Have you already submitted an application for recognition? If so, please indicate the office to which you submitted the application.
- Do you not yet live or work in the EU, the EEA or Switzerland? Then you may need to provide proof: You want to work in the profession in the federal state. Proof can be, for example, applications for a job, invitations to job interviews or a location note from the Central Service Center for Professional Recognition (ZSBA).
If your documents are not in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. The translations must be made by translators who are publicly appointed or authorized.
What are the fees?
Administration fee: 60,00 EURPayment in advance: NoRecognition EU
Administration fee: 60,00 - 180,00 EURPayment in advance: NoRecognition from a third country
Administration fee: 200,00 EURPayment in advance: NoIf necessary, a procedure to determine competence may be required. Costs of up to 200 euros must be budgeted for this.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
There are no deadlines.
Processing time: 3 MonthsThe responsible office will confirm receipt of your application within one month. The responsible office will inform you if further documents are required. If you have submitted all the required documents, you will receive a decision with the result after 3 months at the latest. In certain cases, the competent body may extend the procedure
You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority within a certain period of time (for example, by lodging an objection). The decision will then be reviewed. Details can be found in the information on legal remedies at the end of your decision. You should first speak to the responsible office before taking legal action against the decision.
What else should I know?
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry of Justice and Health of the State of Schleswig-Holstein
Professionally released on