We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Extend gun license
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
You will receive a firearms license for a maximum of 3 years. You can have the firearms license extended twice for a maximum of 3 years.
You can obtain a firearms license to carry weapons that require a permit. A distinction is made between firearms requiring a permit and firearms not requiring a permit. In order to be allowed to carry unlicensed firearms, you need a small firearms license (see further information). A list of weapons for which you do not require a permit to acquire and possess can be found in Annex 2 of the Weapons Act.
It is recommended that you inform yourself in detail about the regulations of the Weapons Act before submitting your application.
The firearms license allows you to use a weapon outside
- your own home,
- your own business premises,
- your own pacified property (e.g. your own garden) and
- a shooting range
to carry. If you carry the weapon with you, you must have the firearms license with you and be able to identify yourself with an identity card or passport.
To obtain a firearms license, you must
- be of the appropriate age and
- your need,
- Your reliability under firearms law,
- your personal suitability,
- your expertise in handling weapons and ammunition,
- liability insurance that covers personal injury and property damage up to 1 million euros, and
- the safe storage of weapons and ammunition
Whether you (continue to) meet the requirements will be checked again upon renewal.
If you move to another town or municipality, you do not need to have your firearms license transferred.
If you handle weapons and ammunition without the required firearms license, you could face a fine or imprisonment.
You must have your firearms license renewed at the relevant firearms authority. Submit the application together with the required documents.
The firearms authority will extend the firearms license if you meet the necessary requirements.
Who should I contact?
- You must have a valid permit for the purchase and possession of a weapon (e.g. gun ownership card).
- You must have a firearms license.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must prove that it is necessary for you to carry weapons in public (need).
In order to be allowed to carry weapons in public, you must provide the relevant weapons authority with a credible reason. As a rule, a credible reason is recognized if
- Your life is in great danger;
- you can credibly demonstrate other reasons why you wish to carry weapons in public.
- You must prove your reliability under firearms law.
You may be deemed unreliable under firearms law if, among other things
- you have been sentenced to a prison sentence of at least 1 year within the last 10 years or have been a member of or supported a prohibited organization in the last 10 years.
- it can be assumed that you misuse weapons or ammunition or handle them improperly, do not store these items carefully or hand them over to persons who are not authorized to do so.
- you have been in preventive police custody more than once in the last 5 years with judicial authorization due to violence.
- you have repeatedly or grossly violated the Weapons Act.
- You must prove your personal suitability.
You may be assessed as personally unsuitable if, among other things
- You are legally incompetent.
- you are dependent on alcohol or other intoxicating substances, mentally ill or mentally retarded.
- you suffer from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairment.
- it can be assumed that you do not handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly or cannot store these items carefully or that there is a concrete danger that you will endanger others or yourself.
- You must have liability insurance that covers personal injury and property damage up to a lump sum of 1 million euros.
Which documents are required?
- Identity card or passport (copy)
- Gun ownership card and gun license
- Proof of a need (e.g. proof of danger to your person)
- Proof of liability insurance in the amount of 1 million euros (lump sum for personal injury and property damage)
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
What else should I know?
To complete the application more quickly, you can use the NWR identification numbers (NWR ID):
- your personal NWR ID (P or F NWR ID) for your personal details
- the permit NWR ID for the firearms permit (E-NWR ID)
- the weapon or weapon part NWR ID (W or T NWR ID).
You can obtain the NWR IDs on application to the relevant weapons authority.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Bavarian State Ministry of the Interior, for Sport and Integration
Professionally released on