We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Apply for a residence permit for conditional admission to studies or part-time studies
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
The residence permit for the purpose of fulfilling conditions prior to taking up studies in Germany is a temporary residence title.
Specifically, the residence permit can be issued if
1. you have been admitted to full-time studies by a state university, a state-recognized institution of higher education or a comparable educational institution, but the admission is linked to a condition other than attendance at a study-preparatory measure (for example, admission to a master's program is linked to the presentation of proof of completion of a bachelor's degree);
2. you have been admitted to full-time studies by a state university, a state-recognized institution of higher education or a comparable educational institution, but the admission is subject to the condition that you must first attend a preparatory course of studies or a comparable institution. You may also be granted admission if you cannot yet provide proof of admission to a Studienkolleg or comparable institution;
3. you have been admitted to part-time studies by a state university, a state-recognized institution of higher education or a comparable educational institution;
4. you have been accepted to participate in a language course that prepares you for studies, without already having been admitted by a higher education institution; or
5. you have been accepted by a company to complete a study-preparatory internship.
When deciding whether to issue a residence permit for the above-mentioned purposes, the Aliens' Registration Office may obtain and take into account opinions from the university or other institutions approved for education or further training in matters relating to the prerequisites for study, the course of study, the completion of studies and other academic matters.
If you have not yet reached the age of 18, the persons authorized to have custody of your person must consent to your stay in Germany.
- Find out whether your foreigners authority allows you to submit the application online or provides a special application form.
- If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you may not submit the application yourself, but require a representative (as a rule, the application is submitted by the custodial parent).
- If the application can only be submitted in person, make an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office. In the case of online application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to arrange an appointment.
- If you are under the age of 18, you must be accompanied by at least one representative at the personal appointment. If the custodial parent cannot appear in person, a written power of attorney for the application must be provided.
- During the appointment, your identity and documents will be verified (please bring your documents, originals if possible, to the appointment).
- If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the residence permit in the form of an electronic residence title (eAT card).
- The Aliens' Registration Office will order the production of the eAT card from the Bundesdruckerei. Once it has been produced, you will receive information and can collect the eAT card from the relevant office. The eAT card must always be collected in person.
- If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence is responsible for processing the application.
- You would like to stay in Germany in order to take up full-time studies after fulfilling a condition, to study part-time or to participate in a language course or internship in preparation for studies.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage for the duration of your stay from your own resources without recourse to public benefits.
- There is no interest in deportation against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Which documents are required?
- Recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport substitute).
- Visa, if this was required for the entry
- In case of a previous stay in Germany: Current residence document (for example residence title)
- Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
- Proof of conditional admission to studies, matriculation or admission to a language course or internship preparing for studies
- Proof of livelihood (for example, from own assets, payment of a security deposit into a blocked account, bank guarantee, letter of commitment, scholarship, proof of receipt of benefits such as parents or child benefit, proof of parents' income or similar)
- Proof of health insurance coverage (for example, confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
- In the case of conditional admission to studies or enrollment, proof of language skills required for the specific course of study may be required
- For minors: Consent of all persons entitled to custody to the planned stay (declaration of consent); if the parents entitled to custody cannot submit the application jointly for their child, a written power of attorney from the absent parent is required; if only one parent is entitled to custody, the signature of this parent is sufficient.
The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Aliens' Registration Office may require less or further proof.
What are the fees?
- 100,00 Euro for applicants of full age
- 50,00 Euro for underage applicants
Additional fees may apply for the issuance of a residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.
The timing as well as the form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.
In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may be considered (for example, for persons entitled to asylum or recognized refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
6 weeks to 8 weeks
Remark (for further information on validity):
The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiration of your still valid visa or residence permit.
Duration (for span): 1 year to 2 years
Remark (for further information on the period):
The residence permit is issued for at least one year. Its validity should not exceed two years when first issued.
In case of participation in a Union or multilateral program with mobility measures (for example ERASMUS+ program of the European Union) or if the applicant is subject to an agreement between two or more higher education institutions, the residence permit is issued for at least two years.
If the studies last less than two years, it is issued for the duration of the studies.
An extension must be applied for at the Aliens' Registration Office in good time before the expiry of the validity. As a rule, a stay of ten years is regarded as the upper limit for the duration of residence.
approx. 6 weeks to 8 weeks
Note for further information on processing time:
The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.
The production of the electronic residence title by the Bundesdruckerei takes about 4 to 6 weeks.
- Appeal against the decision of the foreigners authority within one month of notification
- Action before the court named in the notice of appeal if the appeal is not granted
Applications / forms
Forms available: No
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: Yes
What else should I know?
- You have no right to be granted the residence permit. It is at the discretion of the foreigners authority to grant the residence permit.
- The residence permit entitles the holder to gainful employment during the vacation period and to perform the internship. This restriction is usually included in the title as a secondary provision.
- Study preparation includes, in particular, German courses as well as attendance at preparatory courses or similar institutions.
- The procedure at the Foreigners Authority is usually conducted in German.
- All information given to the Aliens' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of your knowledge and belief, so that the request can be processed without major delays.
- Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be disadvantageous for the person concerned. In a serious case, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Aliens Department may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, a prison sentence of up to three years, or expulsion from the Federal territory.
- Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry of the Interior and for Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Professionally released on