We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Apply for extension of residence permit for recognition of professional qualification during employment
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
If the validity of your residence permit ends before the deficits identified by the recognition body could be compensated, you can apply for the extension of your residence permit to continue the post-qualification.
Please note that the residence permit is issued for a maximum of two years. An extension of your residence permit is therefore only possible if this time frame has not yet been exhausted.
The extension must be applied for in good time before the expiry date of your previous residence permit.
The same requirements apply to the extension of the residence permit as to its issuance. In particular, your livelihood should be secured for the duration of your stay.
Under certain circumstances, the Federal Employment Agency may have to give its consent again to the pursuit of employment. Within the scope of the approval, it will check the working conditions, among other things.
The residence permit cannot be extended if it is evident that the post-qualification cannot be completed within a reasonable period of time or if the extension was already ruled out by the Foreigners' Registration Office when it was issued or the last time it was extended.
- Find out whether your foreigners authority allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
- If the application can only be submitted in person, make an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office. In the case of online application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to schedule an appointment.
- During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents to the appointment, if possible in original).
- If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the residence permit in the form of a new electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- The Aliens' Registration Office will order the production of the eAT card from the Bundesdruckerei. Once it has been produced, you will receive information and can collect the eAT card from the relevant office. The eAT card must always be collected in person.
- If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence is responsible for processing the application.
In principle, the same requirements must be met for the extension of the residence permit as for the initial issuance of the residence permit. This means:
- You are not yet able to provide evidence of the skills, knowledge and abilities of operational practice determined by the recognition body to be lacking. You therefore wish to continue your employment in the non-regulated occupation in order to create the conditions for full recognition of your foreign professional qualification.
- The maximum period of validity of your residence permit of two years has not yet been exhausted.
- Your employer has given an assurance in your employment contract that he will continue to allow you to obtain professional recognition.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage for the further duration of your stay from your own resources without recourse to public benefits.
- You have German language skills appropriate to your job; as a rule, at least language skills at level A 2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- The Federal Employment Agency has approved the continuation of your employment - if required (approval is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office).
- There is no interest in deportation against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Which documents are required?
In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the submission of the same documents as for the initial issuance:
- Recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport replacement).
- Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
- Employment contract and the form "Declaration of Employment Relationship" filled in and signed by the employer (see forms)
- Presentation of how the skills, knowledge and abilities still lacking are to be compensated for (for example, further training plan)
- Evidence of livelihood security (for example, from own assets, payment of a security deposit into a blocked account, bank guarantee, letter of commitment, scholarship, evidence of receipt of benefits such as parental or child benefits, evidence of parental income, or similar)
- Proof of health insurance coverage (for example, confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
The documents and information must generally be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Aliens' Registration Office may require less or further proof.
If necessary, you will have to submit the proof of your language skills or the deficit notice from the recognition office to the Foreigners' Registration Office again.
What are the fees?
- 96,00 EURO for a further stay of up to three months for applicants of full age
- 93,00 EURO for a further stay of more than three months for applicants of full age.
Additional fees may be charged for the issuance of a new residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.
The timing as well as the form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.
In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may be considered (for example, for persons entitled to asylum or recognized refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Approx. 6 weeks to 8 weeks
The extension of the residence permit must be applied for before the validity of the current residence permit expires. At the latest six to eight weeks before the residence permit expires, the application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
Period of validity:
max. 2 years
Remark (for further information on the time limit):
The residence permit is usually limited to two years when it is first issued (maximum period of validity). An extension of the residence permit can therefore only be considered if this time frame has not yet been exhausted.
The extension must be applied for at the Aliens' Registration Office in good time before the expiry of the validity of the previous residence permit.
approx. 6 weeks to 8 weeks
Note for further information on processing time:
The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.
The production of the electronic residence title by the Bundesdruckerei takes about 4 to 6 weeks.
- Appeal against the decision of the foreigners authority within one month of notification
- Action before the court named in the notice of appeal if the appeal is not granted
Applications / forms
Forms available: No
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: Yes
What else should I know?
- Non-regulated professions are professions without specific government requirements for their practice. This means that there is no professional license that would be required to work in the profession. In Germany, for example, all professions based on dual vocational training are not regulated.
- The residence permit does not entitle the holder to engage in gainful employment beyond that which serves the purpose of post-qualification.
- After obtaining the equivalence of the professional qualification, there is the possibility of residence for job-seeking purposes for up to twelve months (Section 20 (3) No. 4 Residence Act).
- In individual cases, the Employer Service of the Federal Employment Agency and, in the accelerated procedure for skilled workers, the competent foreigners authority provide advice. The "Zentrale Servicestelle Berufsanerkennung" can also be contacted in individual cases.
- The procedure at the Foreigners Authority is usually conducted in German.
- All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of your knowledge and belief so that the matter can be processed without major delays.
- Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be disadvantageous for the person concerned. In a serious case, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Aliens Department may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, a prison sentence of up to three years, or expulsion from the Federal territory.
- Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry of the Interior and for Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Professionally released on