We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Applying for an extension of the residence permit to take an examination for the recognition of a foreign professional qualification
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
If the validity of your residence permit ends before you have completed the examination procedure required for the recognition of your foreign qualification, you can apply for the extension of your residence permit.
The residence permit was issued exclusively for the purpose of taking an examination. An extension of the residence permit is therefore only possible if the examination procedure has not yet been completed.
The same requirements apply to the extension of the residence permit as to its issuance. In particular, your livelihood should be secured for the duration of your stay.
In case of an extension, your residence permit will be limited again; usually for the remaining duration of the examination procedure. The validity of the residence permit covers the period from taking the examination until the announcement of the examination result or until the issuance of a decision by the competent authority concluding the procedure.
The residence permit cannot be extended if it is foreseeable that the examination cannot be taken within a reasonable period of time or if the extension was already ruled out by the foreigners authority when it was issued or the last time it was extended.
- Find out whether your foreigners authority allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
- If the application can only be submitted in person, make an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office. In the case of online application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to schedule an appointment.
- During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents to the appointment, if possible in original).
- If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the residence permit in the form of a new electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- The Foreigners' Registration Office will order the production of the eAT card from the Bundesdruckerei. Once it has been produced, you will receive information and can collect the eAT card from the relevant office. The eAT card must always be collected in person.
- If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence is responsible for processing the application.
In principle, the same requirements must be met for the extension of the residence permit as for the initial issuance of the residence permit. This means:
- You wish to continue to reside in Germany in order to complete an examination procedure that serves to fully recognize your foreign professional qualification.
- You are able to secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage for the further duration of your stay from your own resources without recourse to public benefits.
- You have language skills that correspond to the examination to be taken, but at least at level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference. An exception applies if the acquisition of language skills is the subject of the examination to be taken.
- There is no interest in deportation against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Which documents are required?
In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the submission of the same documents as for the initial issuance:
- Recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport replacement).
- Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
- Proof of livelihood (for example, from own assets, payment of a security deposit into a blocked account, bank guarantee, letter of commitment, scholarship, proof of receipt of benefits such as parental or child benefits, proof of parental income or similar)
- Proof of health insurance coverage (for example, confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
- In case of minors: Consent of all persons entitled to custody to the planned stay (declaration of consent); if the parents entitled to custody cannot submit the application jointly for their child, a written power of attorney of the absent parent is required; if only one parent is entitled to custody, the signature of this parent is sufficient.
The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Aliens' Registration Office may require less or further proof.
If necessary, you will have to provide the Aliens' Registration Office with further proof of your language skills if the acquisition of language skills is not the subject of your examination.
What are the fees?
- 96,00 Euro for a further stay of up to three months for applicants of full age
- 93,00 Euro for a further stay of more than three months for applicants of full age.
Additional fees may be charged for the issuance of a new residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.
The timing as well as the form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.
In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may be considered (for example, for persons entitled to asylum or recognized refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
approx. 6 weeks to 8 weeks
The extension of the residence permit must be applied for before the validity of the current residence permit expires. The application should be received by the Aliens' Registration Office at least six to eight weeks before the residence permit expires.
The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time. The validity usually depends on the remaining period of the examination procedure. The validity covers the period from taking the examination until the announcement of the examination result or until the issuance of a decision by the competent authority concluding the procedure. The extension is to be applied for in good time before the expiry of the validity at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
approx. 6 weeks to 8 weeks
The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.
The production of the electronic residence permit by the Bundesdruckerei takes about 4 to 6 weeks.
- Appeal against the decision of the foreigners authority within one month of notification
- Action before the court named in the notice of appeal if the appeal is not granted
Applications / forms
Forms available: No
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: Yes
What else should I know?
- The term examination covers examinations that are required to determine the equivalence of a foreign professional qualification with a domestic professional qualification. This includes language and technical language examinations. In principle, the completion of several examinations is also possible.
- There is no entitlement to the issuance of a residence permit. It is at the discretion of the foreigners authority to grant the residence permit.
- The residence permit granted for the examination procedure does not entitle the holder to take up gainful employment.
- As a rule, the procedure at the Aliens' Registration Office is conducted in German.
- All information provided to the Aliens' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of your knowledge and belief so that the request can be processed without major delays.
- Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be disadvantageous for the person concerned. In a serious case, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Aliens Department may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, a prison sentence of up to three years, or expulsion from the Federal territory.
- Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry of the Interior and for Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Professionally released on