We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Apply for extension of residence permit to attend a general education school
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
If you have already received a residence permit for the purpose of attending school, you must apply for an extension of the residence permit in good time before it expires.
The Foreigners' Registration Office will extend the residence permit if the requirements are met. The granting of a residence permit requires, among other things, that school attendance is the main purpose of your stay. A mere part-time school education does not meet these requirements.
This is generally issued for the respective duration of your purpose of residence.
- Find out whether your foreigners authority allows you to submit the application online or provides a special application form.
- If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you may not submit the application yourself, but require a representative (as a rule, the application is submitted by the custodial parent).
- If the application can only be submitted in person, make an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office. In the case of online application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to arrange an appointment.
- If you are under the age of 18, you must be accompanied by at least one representative at the personal appointment. If the custodial parent cannot appear in person, a written power of attorney for the application must be provided.
- During the appointment, your identity and documents will be verified (please bring your documents, originals if possible, to the appointment).
- If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the residence permit in the form of an electronic residence title (eAT card).
- The Foreigners' Registration Office will order the production of the eAT card from the Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card at the responsible office. The eAT card must always be collected in person.
- If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence is responsible for processing the application.
In principle, the same requirements must be met for the extension of the residence permit as for the initial issuance of the residence permit. That is:
- You want to continue attending a public or state-recognized school with an international orientation or a private school that prepares its students for international degrees, degrees from other countries, or state-recognized degrees (such as the International Baccalaureate [IB]).
- Your selected school will continue to ensure school classes with a composition of students from different nationalities.
- You will be able to secure your living expenses and health insurance coverage for the duration of your stay from your own resources without recourse to public benefits. The current BAföG rate (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz) is used as a guideline.
- There is no interest in deportation against you.
Which documents are required?
In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the submission of the same documents as for the initial issuance:
- Recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport replacement).
- Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
- Proof of subsistence (for example, from own assets, payment of a security deposit into a blocked account, bank guarantee, letter of commitment, scholarship, proof of parents' income or similar)
- Proof of health insurance coverage (for example, confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
- Certificate from the school stating the duration and general conditions of school attendance.
- In case of minors: Consent of all persons entitled to custody to the planned school attendance (declaration of consent); if the parents entitled to custody cannot submit the application jointly for their child, a written power of attorney of the absent parent is required; if only one parent is entitled to custody, the signature of this parent is sufficient.
The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Aliens' Registration Office may require less or further proof.
What are the fees?
Cost amount (fixed):
- 96,00 for a further stay of up to three months
- 48,00 Euro for underage applicants for a further stay of up to three months
- 93,00 for a further stay of more than three months
- 46,50 Euro for underage applicants for a further stay of more than three months.
Additional fees may apply for the issuance of a new residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.
The timing as well as the form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.
In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may be considered (for example, for persons entitled to asylum or recognized refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Duration (for span): 6 to 8
Remark (for further information on the deadline):
At least six weeks to eight weeks before the expiration of the current residence permit, the application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
Duration (with span): approx. 6 to 8
Note for further information on processing time:
The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.
It takes about 4 weeks to 6 weeks for the Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.
- Appeal against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office within one month after notification
- Action before the court named in the notice of appeal if the appeal is not granted
Applications / forms
Forms available: No
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: Yes
What else should I know?
- The extension of the residence permit is at the discretion of the competent foreigners authority. Applicants are therefore only entitled to a decision free of discretionary errors.
- While holding the residence permit, gainful employment is not permitted. An exception exists under certain circumstances for the time of vacations.
- During the stay for school attendance, i.e. until the successful completion of the educational measure and handing over of the corresponding graduation certificate, a residence permit for another purpose of stay should generally only be issued if there is a legal entitlement (for example family reunification or studies).
- If you have attended school in Germany while in possession of another residence title, this does not yet justify the issuance of a residence permit for school attendance.
- The procedure is usually conducted in German.
- All information provided to the Aliens' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of your knowledge and belief so that the request can be processed without major delays.
- Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be disadvantageous for the person concerned. In a serious case, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Aliens Department may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, a prison sentence of up to three years, or expulsion from the Federal territory.
- Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry of the Interior and for Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Professionally released on