We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Apply for a residence permit to look for a job after completing your studies
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
As a foreign graduate of a German university, you can apply for a residence permit to look for a job following your studies.
The employment you are seeking must be one for which you are qualified on the basis of your qualifications. The desired gainful employment can also be self-employment.
This residence permit can be issued for up to 18 months. The residence permit only serves the one-time purpose of seeking employment and cannot be extended beyond this maximum period.
During the job search, any gainful employment is permitted and does not require a permit.
- Find out whether your foreigners authority allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
- If the application can only be submitted in person, make an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office. In the case of online application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to schedule an appointment.
- During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in original, to the appointment).
- If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of a new electronic residence permit (eATKarte). The Aliens' Registration Office will order the production of the eAT card from the Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the residence permit at the responsible office. The eAT card must always be collected in person.
- If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
Who should I contact?
The Foreigners' Registration Office responsible for the applicant's place of residence is responsible for processing the application.
- You have a recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport substitute).
- You have a valid residence permit for the purpose of studying (§ 16b or § 16c of the Residence Act).
- You have successfully completed your studies in Germany and the period of validity of your residence permit will expire in the near future.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage without claiming public benefits.
- There is no interest in deportation against you.
Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Which documents are required?
- Recognized and valid identity document (for example passport or passport substitute)
- Visa, if required for entry into the country
- Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
- Valid residence permit for the purpose of studies (§ 16b or § 16c of the Residence Act)
- Proof of successful completion of studies in Germany
- Proof of livelihood (e.g. employment contract, equity, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
- Proof of health insurance coverage
- Current certificate of registration
In individual cases, the Aliens Department may require less or further evidence
What are the fees?
Fee 98,00 EUR
For the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit, which can also be used as an electronic proof of identity, additional fees may apply.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
At the latest 8 before the expiry of your still valid residence permit, the application should be received by the Aliens' Registration Office.
Period of validity (for a fixed period): maximum 18
The residence permit is issued for a maximum of 18 months. The extension of the residence permit beyond this maximum period is excluded.
It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for the Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.
- Appeal against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office
- Action before the court named in the notice of appeal if the appeal is not granted
Applications / forms
Forms available: No
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: No
Personal appearance required: Yes
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry of the Interior and for Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Professionally released on