We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Extension for self-employed former scientists and researchers
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
If you had already received a residence permit for self-employment according to Section 21 (2a) of the Residence Act on the basis of a successful degree from a state or state-recognized university or comparable educational institution in the Federal Republic of Germany or a previous residence permit as a researcher or scientist and its validity is about to expire, you can apply for an extension of the residence permit.
Make sure to submit your application in due time before the validity of your residence permit expires.
The residence permit will be issued again for up to three years.
- Find out whether your foreigners authority allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
- If the application can only be submitted in person, make an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office. In the case of online application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to schedule an appointment.
- During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring the original documents with you to the appointment if possible).
- If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the residence permit in the form of a new electronic residence title (eAT card).
- The Foreigners' Registration Office will order the production of the eAT card from the Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card at the responsible office. The eAT card must always be collected in person.
- If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence is responsible for processing the application.
In principle, the same requirements must be met for the extension of the residence permit as for the initial issuance of the residence permit. That is:
- The period of validity of your current residence permit will expire in the near future.
- You want to continue your self-employed or freelance activity in Germany.
- Your self-employed activity is still related to the knowledge you acquired during your university education or during your previous work as a researcher or scientist.
- You can continue to secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage without claiming public benefits.
- If you have reached the age of 45, you can prove that you have adequate old-age security (does not apply to persons with Turkish citizenship).
- There is no interest in deportation against you.
Which documents are required?
In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the submission of the same documents as for the initial issuance:
- Recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport replacement).
- Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
- Description of the self-employed activity (business plan)
- Proof of financing of the self-employed activity (for example, proof of equity capital, financing commitment from a bank).
- Extract from the commercial register or business registration
- Proof of livelihood (e.g. proof of income, equity capital, blocked account, declaration of commitment).
- Proof of health insurance coverage (for example, confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
- After reaching the age of 45: proof of adequate pension provision (for example, proof of own assets, acquired pension entitlements, company assets).
The documents and information must generally be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Aliens' Registration Office may require less or further proof.
If necessary, you may also have to present the Aliens' Registration Office again with proof of graduation from a state-recognized university or a comparable educational institution in Germany or your old employment contract as a scientist and researcher, in order to prove again the connection between your previous activity and your business idea.
What are the fees?
- 96,00 Euro for a further stay of up to three months
- 93,00 Euro for a further stay of more than three months
The residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity, must be reissued for the extension. Additional fees may be charged for this.
The time and the form of the fee collection as well as the payment vary depending on the authority.
In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may apply (for example, for persons entitled to asylum or recognized refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Application deadline: 6 weeks to 8 weeks.
The extension of the residence permit must be applied for before the validity of the current residence permit expires. The application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office at least six to eight weeks before the residence permit expires.
Maximum duration of validity is 3 years.
The residence permit can be issued for up to three years
6 weeks to 8 weeks.
The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.
The production of the electronic residence permit by the Bundesdruckerei takes about 4 to 6 weeks.
- Appeal against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office within one month of notification.
- Action before the court named in the notice of objection if the objection is not upheld.
Applications / forms
Forms available: No
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: Yes
What else should I know?
- Self-employed activity is any self-employed, permitted, profit-making activity of a certain duration, provided it is not an employment relationship.
- The extension of the residence permit is at the discretion of the competent foreigners authority. Applicants are therefore only entitled to a decision free of discretionary errors.
- After holding a residence permit for three years for the purpose of self-employment, it is possible to apply for an unlimited residence title (settlement permit) under simplified conditions (see service "Settlement permit issued for self-employment").
- For freelancers, other conditions apply for the extension of the residence permit as well as for obtaining a settlement permit.
- The procedure is usually conducted in German.
- All information provided to the Aliens' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of your knowledge and belief, so that the request can be processed without major delays.
- Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be disadvantageous for the person concerned. In a serious case, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Aliens Department may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, a prison sentence of up to three years, or expulsion from the Federal territory.
- Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry of the Interior and for Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Professionally released on