We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Applying for an extension of a residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment for freelancers
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
You can extend your temporary residence permit for freelancers if you want to continue practicing your freelance activity in Germany.
For the extension of the residence permit, you must fulfill the same requirements as when the residence permit was first issued.
Freelance activities include scientific, artistic, writing, teaching, educational or other self-employed professional activities as defined in Section 18 (1) of the Income Tax Act (for example, self-employed doctors, notaries, tax consultants).
If required, you must currently submit a professional license again.
- Find out whether your foreigners authority allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
- If the application can only be submitted in person, make an appointment at the Aliens' Registration Office. In the case of online application, the Aliens' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to schedule an appointment.
- During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in original, to the appointment).
- If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of a new electronic residence permit (eATKarte). The Aliens' Registration Office will order the production of the eAT card from the Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the residence permit at the responsible office. The eAT card must always be collected in person.
- If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
: The foreigners authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence is responsible for processing the application.
For the extension of the residence permit, you must fulfill the same requirements as for the initial issuance of the residence permit. These are regularly:
- You possess a recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport substitute).
- You want to exercise a self-employed, freelance activity in Germany.
- You have, as far as this is necessary for the exercise of the occupation, a valid occupation practice permission or the granting of the permission was assured to you by the responsible place.
- You can provide evidence of adequate old-age provision if you have reached the age of 45.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage without recourse to public benefits.
- There is no interest in deportation against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Which documents are required?
In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the submission of the same documents as for the initial issuance:
- Recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport replacement).
- Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
- For regulated professions: Permission to practice the liberal profession or promise of granting it.
- Proof of livelihood (e.g. equity capital, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
- Proof of health insurance coverage
- From the age of 45: proof of adequate pension provision (e.g. proof of own assets, acquired pension entitlements, business assets)
- Current certificate of registration
- In individual cases, the Aliens Department may require less or further proof.
What are the fees?
- 96,00 for a further stay of up to three months
- 93,00 for a further stay of more than three months
Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit, which can also be used as an electronic proof of identity.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
At the latest 8 before the expiry of your current residence permit, the application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
The residence permit is usually extended for the duration of the freelance activity.
Objection period 1 month
Processing time: approx. 8 weeks
It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for the Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.
- Appeal against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office
- Action before the court named in the notice of appeal if the appeal is not granted
Applications / forms
Forms available: No
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: No
Personal appearance required: Yes
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry of the Interior and for Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg
Professionally released on