We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
New registration of a motor vehicle from an EU country
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
Vehicles may only be put into operation on public roads if they are licensed for traffic. In the case of a new vehicle with a general operating permit or EC operating permit, you must apply for the allocation of a registration number.
Please contact the local licensing authority in your district or city.
As a rule, the local authority responsible is
- for natural persons, the authority of the place of residence of the vehicle owner (main residence according to the identity card),
- for legal entities, tradespeople and self-employed persons with a fixed place of business or authorities, the authority of the registered office or the location of the branch or office involved.
Which documents are required?
- Completed application forms, if applicable
- Valid identification document (identity card or passport of the vehicle owner; if passport is presented, also a current registration certificate)
- Foreign vehicle documents if applicable, otherwise purchase contract or import certificate
- CoC papers (incl. emission class / emission key) or if not available: Expert opinion according to §13 EG-FGV or expert opinion according to § 21 StVZO
- Electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
- Bank details for vehicle tax (SEPA direct debit mandate)
Further information can be obtained from your local registration authority.
- If necessary, e.g. additional proof of:
- Name and address of the applicant and the tax office responsible for him/her in accordance with Section 21 of the Tax Code
- Name and address of the supplier
- Date of first commissioning
- Mileage on the day of delivery
- Vehicle type, vehicle manufacturer (brand), vehicle type and vehicle identification number
- Intended use
- If you are represented by a third party: your written power of attorney and your identity document (original); the authorized representative must be able to identify himself/herself with a valid identity card/passport.
- if you are registering a minor: written declaration of consent from the legal guardian and their identity documents (original); if applicable, a certificate of sole custody (so-called "negative certificate") for single parents
What are the fees?
The fee is charged in accordance with the German Road Traffic Fee Regulations (GebOSt). The amount depends on various factors. Information can be obtained on a case-by-case basis from the local licensing authority.
Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV)
Fee regulations for road traffic measures (GebOSt)
What else should I know?
Vehicles that were first registered in another EU member state no more than 6 months ago or whose mileage to date is less than 6,000 km are considered new vehicles in accordance with § 1b UStG.
If you have vehicle tax arrears or arrears of fees and expenses from previous registration processes, the registration authority will refuse registration until you have settled these.
If someone is registering your vehicle on your behalf, the authorized representative must present a written power of attorney from you. This must also contain a declaration of consent that the registration authority may inform the authorized representative of any outstanding fees and expenses.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Hessian Ministry of Economics, Energy, Transport and Housing
Professionally released on