We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Request certificate of time of birth
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
The certificate of the time of birth is the proof of the exact time of birth of a person. You can obtain a certificate of the time of birth based on the birth register kept in the relevant registry office.
The certificate is issued by the registry office that recorded the birth. In federal states where there is a central register network, it is also possible to obtain the birth time certificate from any other registry office.
Further legalization (legalization/apostille) is not required for the certificate.
- Go to the registry office that recorded the birth.
- You must present your identity card or passport for legitimation.
- You usually pay the fee when you apply at the registry office.
In addition to yourself, a person you trust may also order and collect the certificate for you. In addition to a written power of attorney, this person must present your identity card or passport (original or certified copy) and his or her own identity card or passport.
Request by mail or fax:
- Send an informal letter to the relevant registry office requesting that they issue you with a certificate of time of birth.
- Your letter should contain the following information:
- Name, first name
- Date and place of birth
- if known: Registry office and certification number
- Attach a certified copy of your identity card or passport to the letter.
When the certificate is sent, you will receive a fee notice.
Depending on the offer of the city or municipality, you can also submit the application online.
Who should I contact?
Residence registry office or competent registry office
Registry office that recorded the birth. In the case of birth in Germany, this is the registry office responsible for the specific place of birth. In the case of birth abroad, if it is not known whether and where the birth was notarized, inquiries can be made at the registry office of the place of residence or at the registry office I in Berlin.
Birth registers contain personal data, therefore information from them is subject to data protection restrictions.
- Persons entitled to make an application
- the person to whom the birth register entry refers
- the spouse or civil partner (within the meaning of the Registered Civil Partnership Act)
- ancestors and descendants of the person concerned
- Siblings with legitimate interest
Minimum age: 16 years
Which documents are required?
- Identity card or passport
- in case of written application: certified copy
- written power of attorney of the authorized person, his or her identity card or passport (original or certified copy) and the identity card or passport of the person representing him or her
- in case of application or collection by a representative
What are the fees?
The issuance of a certificate of the time of birth is subject to fees according to state law. Information on the amount of these fees can be obtained from the relevant registry office.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
If the issuance of the certificate is refused, (only) an application for instruction can be filed with the district court responsible for the registry office. The appeal procedure is possible only with regard to the fee notice.
Applications / forms
- Forms: no
- Online service: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: no
What else should I know?
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Berlin Senate Department for the Interior, Digitalization and Sport, Department I - Constitutional and Administrative Law, Division I C
Professionally released on