We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Apply for social assistance
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
If your income (e.g. pension) and assets are not sufficient to finance your necessary living expenses in old age or in the event of reduced earning capacity, you can claim basic security benefits. To do so, you must submit an application.
The benefits cover in particular the necessary living expenses including reasonable expenses for accommodation and heating.
You can claim basic security benefits for old age and reduced earning capacity:
- Persons born before January 1, 1947, upon reaching the age limit of 65.
- Persons born after December 31, 1946, on reaching the age limit of 65 years + x months. For persons born between 1947 and 1967, a statutory graduated system applies with regard to reaching the age limit.
- Persons who have reached the age of 18 and are permanently fully incapacitated for work for medical reasons.
You can also apply for basic security benefits if you live in a home (inpatient facility).
Who should I contact?
Please contact the social welfare office of your district or city.
Which documents are required?
- identity card,
- Documents about your current income (e.g. notification of a pension payment, proof of salary, maintenance payments) and your assets (e.g. savings contracts).
What are the fees?
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- Basic security benefits begin when the application is submitted. There are no back payments for periods prior to the application.
- Basic security benefits are regularly granted for 12 calendar months and then reviewed. If personal or financial circumstances change during the approval period, the changes must be reported.
- Increased benefits are paid from the first of the month in which the change is notified at the earliest. It is therefore important to notify changes, such as an increase in rent, immediately.
§§ Sections 41- 46 of the German Social Code (SGB) Twelfth Book (XII) - Social Assistance.
Applications / forms
You can obtain application forms from your local authority or municipal administration.
Or you can download them from the German Pension Insurance website.
What else should I know?
Maintenance claims you have against your children and parents are not taken into account if their total annual income is less than 100,000 euros.
Further information on basic old-age benefits can also be found on the websites of the Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (BMAS) and the German Pension Insurance.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.