We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Driving license: Transfer of a foreign driving license
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
Holders of a valid foreign driving license may drive motor vehicles in Germany for a period of 6 months within the scope of their entitlement if they do not have a normal place of residence in Germany. If a motor vehicle is to continue to be driven in Germany after taking up residence, a German driving license must be issued on the basis of the foreign driving license (so-called transfer).
EU or EEA driver's licenses of harmonized driver's license classes do not generally require a transfer.
In the case of driving license categories that are limited in time in Germany, the German validity periods also apply if no or a longer period is entered in the foreign driving license.
Who should I contact?
To the district or independent city (driving license authority).
The responsibility depends on the place of residence (main residence according to the identity card).
Which documents are required?
- Application form (may be prepared at the driving license authority),
- official photo ID (identity card, passport),
- registration certificate, if applicable,
- current photograph: frontal photograph in accordance with international standards (biometric photograph),
- valid foreign driving license (for non-EU/EEA driving licenses with official translation).
All other application documents depend on the driving license category to be converted and on the state that issued the driving license. More detailed information can be obtained from your competent driving license authority.
What are the fees?
The fees are based on the scale of fees for road traffic measures (GebOSt).
- Chapter 5 Ordinance on the admission of persons to road traffic (Driving License Ordinance - FeV),
- Fee schedule for road traffic measures (GebOSt).
What else should I know?
Information on driving licenses and driving license law can also be found on the website of the Schleswig-Holstein Ministry of Economics, Labour, Transport and Technology (MWAVT).
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.