We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Applying for a driving instructor license
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
Anyone who trains persons who wish to acquire a license to drive motor vehicles (learner drivers) requires a driving instructor license. The driving instructor license is issued upon application in category BE and additionally in categories A, CE and DE.
The driving instructor license may only be used together with the driving school license or as part of an employment or training relationship with the owner of a driving school.
The driving instructor examination is conducted by a specially established examination board.
- Training to become a driving instructor can only take place in one of the 56 recognized driving instructor training schools in Germany. Not only is theoretical training required, but also practical training in a training driving school.
- The training is a "graduated training". In the basic level, the driving instructor license for category BE is acquired first. A two-stage application procedure is required for this. Based on this, driving instructor licenses for categories A, CE and DE can be acquired.
- In order for the driving instructor candidate to be able to apply the knowledge acquired at the officially recognized training center in the training driving school, he/she will be issued a "temporary driving instructor license" with limited training rights once he/she has successfully passed the practical driving test and the professional knowledge test.
- The temporary driving instructor's license expires either when the permanent driving instructor's license is issued or after three unsuccessful driving tests in theoretical or practical driving lessons or after two years from the date of issue.
Who should I contact?
To the district or independent city (driving license authority).
Driving instructor law is regulated uniformly throughout Germany. The requirements for practicing the profession of driving instructor are regulated by the Driving Instructor Act. Training and examinations are carried out in accordance with national training and examination regulations based on this law. The driving instructor license is issued if the applicant
- is at least 21 years old,
- is mentally, physically and professionally fit and there are no facts that make him/her appear unreliable for the driving instructor profession,
- has at least completed vocational training in a recognized teaching profession after completing secondary school or equivalent previous training,
- have a category A, BE and CE driving license and, if a category DE driving instructor license is to be issued, a category DE driving license (a probationary driving license is not sufficient),
- has sufficient driving experience on motor vehicles of the category for which the driving instructor license is to be issued (it is sufficient if the applicant for the driving instructor license for categories BE and DE has sufficient driving experience on motor vehicles of categories B and D),
- has been trained as a driving instructor within the last three years and
- has demonstrated professional aptitude in an examination.
Which documents are required?
To obtain a driving instructor's license, a written application must be submitted to the competent authority stating the desired class. The application must also be accompanied by
- Official proof of place and date of birth,
- Curriculum vitae with handwritten signature,
- a medical certificate of mental and physical fitness.
The competent authority may also require the submission of a specialist medical certificate or an expert opinion on mental and physical fitness from an officially recognized assessment body for driving aptitude.
- A certified copy of your driving license/card (the original driving license can also be submitted for inspection),
- Documentation of driving experience,
- Proof of completed vocational training in a recognized apprenticeship after completing at least a secondary school education or equivalent previous training,
- Confirmation of registration from an officially recognized driving instructor training centre together with a certificate confirming the start of training there,
- Certificate of good conduct (document type O) for submission to the authorities and
- a certificate from the officially recognized driving instructor training centre confirming the duration of the training.
What are the fees?
The fees are set in accordance with the German Road Traffic Fee Regulations (GebOSt). Further information can be obtained from the responsible office.
- Driving Instructors Act (FahrlG),
- Implementing Ordinance to the Driving Instructors Act (DV-FahrlG),
- Examination regulations for driving instructors (FahrlPrüfO),
- Fee regulations for road traffic measures (GebOSt).
What else should I know?
Applicants who have already obtained a driving instructor's license in the public service (Bundeswehr, police) and are seeking a civilian driving instructor's license do not need to take the driving instructor's test. In addition to the above-mentioned documents, these applicants must enclose proof of possession of the service driving instructor license (e.g. certified copy of the driving instructor license) with the application.
Information on driving licenses and driving license law can also be found on the website of the Ministry of Economics, Labor, Transport and Technology of the State of Schleswig-Holstein (MWAVT).
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.