We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Apply for a short-term license plate
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
With a temporary license plate, you can test drive a vehicle
test drive or transfer it to another location. Other
driving purposes are not permitted and may be penalized.
The validity period is a maximum of 5 days from the day of
allocation. The expiration date is visible on the right-hand side of the
visible on the right-hand side. After this date, the short-term
automatically loses its validity.
The vehicle must meet certain requirements in order to use a
to use a short-term license plate:
- it must have EC type approval or
an individual approval or
operating license must have been issued,
- For used vehicles, valid proof of a passed
of a passed general inspection must be available
(main inspection report) and
- motor vehicle liability insurance must
must be in place.
If your vehicle does not have EC type approval or
type approval or operating license, you may only use a short-term license plate
only carry out journeys in connection with obtaining the necessary
the required certificates. You may then only drive to the
nearest inspection center in the district that has allocated the
assigned the license plate or in the neighboring district with the
short-term license plate.
If your vehicle does not have a valid main inspection or
safety inspection, it will only receive a short-term license plate for the
- to the nearest inspection center in the registration district and back or
- to the nearest garage in the registration district in which the license plate was issued or
- to a neighboring district and back for the immediate repair of any significant or minor defects found.
This does not apply to vehicles classified as unsafe to drive.
unsafe to drive.
You yourself, an authorized representative or a person entitled to receive
apply for the temporary license plate at:
- your local registration authority or
- the local registration authority responsible for the location of the vehicle.
- Depending on the services offered by the registration authority, you can download a form or use an online service via the Internet.
- Make an appointment with your local registration authority by telephone or, if possible, online.
- Bring all the necessary documents and the payment of EUR 10.20 with you to your appointment.
- Your documents will be checked directly on site.
If the check is positive, you will receive your personal
personal short-term license plate during the appointment. There are usually
private dealers not far from the registration offices, where you can
can have the short-term license plate printed on a license plate immediately afterwards.
Note: If you are an applicant who is not registered in Germany
registered in Germany, you can apply for the short-term license plate at the
competent registration authority if you name a person
name a person authorized to receive it.
Who should I contact?
Local competent licensing authorities
Local competent licensing authorities
- You need the vehicle for:
- a test drive on which you can check the
and can prove it
- a transfer trip to move the vehicle
vehicle to another location.
to another location.
- You have your own specific need for the
allocation of a short-term license plate.
- You must name the vehicle to the registration authority
and provide evidence of the vehicle data.
- The vehicle must have a:
- EC type approval,
- individual approval or
- operating license.
- For the entire period of validity of the vehicle
period of validity:
- a valid main inspection and
- a safety inspection, if applicable
must be verified.
- You have proof of existing
motor vehicle liability insurance in the form of an
electronic insurance confirmation (eVB) for
short-term license plates.
Note: If you apply for short-term license plates for several vehicles at the same time, you must provide proof of need.
Which documents are required?
- Vehicle registration certificate (registration certificate part I)
- Certificate of Conformity (English abbreviation:
- Original individual approval of the vehicle
- Previous license plates, if applicable
- For used vehicles: main inspection report
- electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
What are the fees?
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
The short-term license plate is valid for a maximum of 5 days.
Applications / forms
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: yes
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI)
Professionally released on