We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Certificate of citizenship
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
The possession of German citizenship is proven - binding for all authorities - by means of a certificate of citizenship or a negative certificate. These are issued by the citizenship authority upon application as part of a special assessment procedure.
Who should I contact?
To the citizenship authorities of the districts or independent cities or, in cities with more than 20,000 inhabitants, to the respective city.
The Federal Office of Administration is responsible for applicants living abroad.
A certificate of citizenship or a negative certificate can only be issued if there are doubts about German citizenship or if proof is expressly required by an authority. To this end, the Citizenship Authority examines
- whether you can credibly demonstrate a legitimate interest in the determination,
- whether and by what means you acquired German citizenship,
- whether and by what means you have lost your German citizenship again.
In addition to the information about you, it is therefore also necessary to provide information about the persons from whom you derive your nationality.
Which documents are required?
In order to prove German citizenship, it is necessary, but also sufficient, if the existence or non-existence of German citizenship can be proven with sufficient probability by means of documents, extracts from the population registers or other written evidence.
The following documents may be useful:
- parentage and civil status (e.g. marriage certificates),
- the acquisition of German citizenship (e.g. naturalisation certificates),
- membership of the group of persons to whom a collective naturalisation extended (e.g. displaced person's identity card),
- to acquire legal status as a German without German citizenship,
- possession of German citizenship or legal status as a German citizen (e.g. certificates of authorisation to retain German citizenship),
- to acquire another nationality (e.g. naturalisation certificate).
What are the fees?
Fees of €51.00 apply.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.