We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Vocational training: Shorten/extend training period
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
The training period stipulated by the training regulations must be adhered to. The training company and the trainee (apprentice) cannot contractually change the training period. In special cases, however, the training period can be shortened or extended by the competent authority upon application.
Shortening of the training period:
At the joint request of the trainee and the trainer, the competent body shall shorten the training period if it is to be expected that the training objective will be achieved in the shortened period. If there is a justified interest, the application can also be directed at shortening the daily or weekly training period (part-time vocational training).
For example, if proof of relevant professional activity or work experience is provided, this can be taken into account appropriately. The completed training period can also be taken into account for a reduction if vocational training is continued in the same occupation. Applicants must provide credible evidence that the training objective can be achieved in the shortened period.
Extension of the training period:
In exceptional cases, the competent body may extend the training period at the request of the trainer if the extension is necessary in order to achieve the training objective. Reasons that make an extension necessary may include
- serious deficiencies in the training,
- longer periods of absence of the trainee (e.g. due to illness),
- physical and other disabilities of the trainee which mean that the training objective cannot be achieved within the agreed training period or
- care of the trainee's own child or relatives in need of care.
Who should I contact?
Contact the chamber responsible for your vocational training. This can be
- the Chamber of Skilled Crafts for vocational training in professions under the Crafts Code,
- the Chamber of Industry and Commerce for vocational training in non-trade occupations,
- the Chamber of Agriculture for vocational training in agricultural and rural domestic science professions,
- the Chamber of Lawyers, Patent Attorneys and Notaries as well as the Notary's Office for the vocational training of specialists in the field of law,
- the Chamber of Auditors and the Chamber of Tax Consultants for the vocational training of professionals in the field of auditing and tax consultancy,
- the Chambers of Physicians, Dentists, Veterinarians and Pharmacists for the vocational training of healthcare professionals.
Further responsibilities, for example for bodies in the area of public law as well as churches and other religious communities, are regulated in the Vocational Training Act (BBiG).
If there are no chambers for individual occupational areas, regulations are already laid down in the state law that relate to responsibility. In addition, chambers can agree a special allocation of responsibilities among themselves with the approval of the competent supreme federal or state authority.
Which documents are required?
The application to shorten or extend the training period must be accompanied by a detailed justification. In the case of minors, the corresponding consent of the legal representatives is required for the application.
If a shortened training period is requested, the relevant certificates or evidence must be enclosed, e.g. school and examination certificates, performance assessments, vocational training contracts and/or company training plans.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
The application to shorten or extend the training period must be submitted in good time before the end of the vocational training contract. The shortening of the training period should be applied for when the contract is concluded if possible, but at the latest in good time so that at least one year of training time remains.
- § Section 8 of the Vocational Training Act (BBiG),
- § Section 27b of the Crafts Code (Handwerksordnung - HWO).
Applications / forms
The application (form) to shorten or extend the training period must be submitted in writing by the trainee to the competent authority.
What else should I know?
The Board of the Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training may issue guidelines to assist in deciding whether to shorten or extend the training period.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.