We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Registration in the register of craftsmen
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
If you want to practice a craft that is subject to licensing, you must register with your regional Chamber of Crafts (Handwerksrolle) before you start your business. In addition to the owner of the business (sole proprietor, partnership with legal capacity or legal entity), the register of skilled crafts also lists the person responsible for managing the business. The company management can be exercised either by the company owner or a salaried company manager. The company management must have the professional requirements for the practice of the craft subject to licensing. Proof must be provided in the form of a master craftsman's certificate for the respective craft or an equivalent relevant professional qualification. For more details, please refer to the section "Prerequisites."
Crafts subject to licensing include the following professions:
- road builders,
- metal workers,
- screed layers,
- stone sculptors,
- painters and varnishers,
- interior decorators,
- car body and vehicle builders,
- information, automotive and electrical engineers,
- plumbers and heating engineers,
- tank and apparatus builders,
- glassblowers and glass apparatus makers,
- chimney sweeps,
- orthopedic technicians,
- dental technicians.
A complete list can be found in Annex A to the Crafts Code (HwO). The craft does not have to be practiced as a whole. Essential (partial) activities can also be exercised.
Attention: You may only exercise the craft subject to licensing that has been registered. If several crafts subject to licensing are practiced, each of these crafts subject to licensing must normally be entered in the register of crafts.
The register of craftsmen is the central directory in which the owners of businesses of crafts subject to approval (Annex A of the Crafts Code with 41 crafts) of their district are entered with the craft to be operated by them or, in the case of the exercise of several crafts, with them.
The craft roll serves to monitor the technical and factual quality of commercial services in the skilled trades. Registration in the register of craftsmen is a prerequisite for a complete business license.
The independent operation of a craft subject to approval as a standing trade is only permitted to natural and legal persons as well as partnerships registered in the register of craftsmen. The operation of a standing trade without proper registration in the register of craftsmen is an administrative offence and can be punished with a fine or a craft/trade ban.
The Chamber of Crafts checks whether the requirements for registration in the register of craftsmen are met at the time of application and determines whether they belong to the individual crafts subject to approval.
The Chamber of Crafts issues a certificate of entry in the register of craftsmen (craft card).
Who should I contact?
To the responsible Chamber of Crafts (HWK) or to the Point of Single Contact SH.
To apply for entry in the register of craftsmen via the Point of Single Contact Schleswig-Holstein, an electronic application (application assistant) is available.
- Completed master craftsman's examination in
- the craft you want to practice or
- in a related craft subject to registration
- The Crafts and Trades Code also contains provisions under which you or your company management may
- as a graduate engineer or graduate engineer,
- with a Bachelor's or Master's degree or
- with a German state or state-recognized examination equivalent to the master craftsman's examination.
- The prerequisite is that the study or school focus of your examination corresponds to the craft to be registered.
- In addition, it is possible to obtain an exemption or authorization to practice.
- For nationals of a member state of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, special regulations exist for the recognition of professional qualifications within the framework of an exceptional approval procedure.
- In addition, an equivalence determination can be made for professional qualifications acquired abroad.
Which documents are required?
- In case of sole proprietorship:
- Copy of the identity card or a comparable identification document.
- Proof of qualification (e.g. copy of master craftsman's certificate, technical certificate) of the owner or the employed management (see in more detail under 5.)
- Copy of business registration (can be submitted later after entry in the register of skilled crafts)
- In the case of civil law partnerships (GbR):
- Copies of the identity card or comparable identification document of the partners or persons authorized to represent the company.
- Copy of the partnership agreement (if not informally concluded)
- Proof of qualification (e.g. copy of master craftsman's certificate, technical certificate) of the partner(s) or of the employed management (see in more detail under 5.)
- Copy of the business registration (can be submitted later after entry in the register of skilled crafts)
- In the case of partnerships with legal capacity, i.e. general partnership (OHG), limited partnership (KG) and corresponding foreign forms of partnership:
- Copies of the identity card or a comparable identification document of the partners or persons authorized to represent the company.
- Proof of the company's legal form if the company is based in Germany:
- in the case of companies registered in the Commercial Register: an extract from the register, in the case of a general partnership also a copy of the partnership agreement
- if the company has not been entered in the register: a copy of the memorandum and articles of association
- Proof of entrepreneurial legal form for foreign legal forms:
- Extract from the register of the competent foreign register in the case of companies registered in registers, otherwise
- copy of the articles of association
- Proof of qualification (e.g. copy of master craftsman's certificate, technical certificate) of the partner(s) or the employed management (see in more detail under 5.)
- Copy of business registration (can be submitted after registration in the register of skilled crafts)
- In the case of legal entities (limited liability company (GmbH), entrepreneurial company (haftungsbeschränkt) or UG (haftungsbeschränkt), stock corporation (AG), registered cooperative (eG)):
- Copies of the identity card or a comparable identification document of the persons authorized to represent the company
- Proof of entrepreneurial legal form for company domiciled in Germany:
- Register excerpt of the commercial or cooperative register
- Proof of entrepreneurial legal form in the case of foreign legal forms:
- Register excerpt of the competent foreign register
- Copy of business registration (can be submitted later after entry in the register of skilled crafts)
- Information on the company management: see 5.
- If an operations manager is employed, the following documents must also be submitted:
- Company manager declaration
- Proof of management activity (copy of employment contract)
- Proof of social insurance of the plant manager
- Proof of qualification of the plant manager (e.g. copy of master craftsman's certificate, technical certificate, exemption permit)
Note: If you employ a second person as company management - e.g. if you are practicing several trades that are subject to licensing - you must also submit the company management declaration for this person together with the other documents mentioned under 5.
The application for registration in the register of craftsmen must be accompanied by:
- Current identity card or passport with current registration certificate,
- valid certificate of residence without conditions for foreigners, unless they are EU nationals,
- Social contract
- A copy of a copy of a master craftsman's, engineer's, technician's or industrial foreman's examination certificate or notification of exemption or exercise authorisation from the holder or craft management; and, if necessary,
- Employment contract and manager's declaration;
- GbR contract and declaration on the GbR contract,
- Excerpt from the commercial register.
What are the fees?
The specific fee results from the fee schedule of the Chamber of Crafts, which is available on the Chamber's website.
The amount of the fees is based on the fee schedule. Information on this can be obtained from the HWK.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Display of craft activity: before the start.
The processing time depends on the completeness of the submitted documents.
If all documents are complete and no further procedure is necessary, registration in the register of skilled crafts can be completed within a few days.
Further procedures extend the processing time, such as the granting of an exemption permit.
- §§ 6 et seq. Law on the Order of Crafts (Handwerksordnung - HwO),
- Annex A List of trades that can be operated as crafts subject to authorisation (§ 1 para. 2).
Applications / forms
Application forms for crafts subject to approval can be found on the website of the HWK Lübeck.
What else should I know?
Essential (partial) activities of a craft.
The craft does not have to be practiced as a whole. Essential (partial) activities can also be carried out. In this case, registration in the register of skilled crafts must also be made.
You may only exercise the craft subject to registration that has been registered.
If you wish to exercise several crafts requiring approval, you must have each of these crafts entered in the register of crafts.
Several persons as company management
If you employ more than 1 person as company management, you must also register this person.
If you move your business to another Chamber of Crafts district, you must register with the local Chamber of Crafts.
Further information on the register of craftsmen can also be found on the website of the HWK Lübeck.
Contact details of the Chambers of Crafts
Ordinance on Related Crafts
List of all skilled trades subject to approval
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
The Senator for Economics, Labor and Europe of the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen
Professionally released on