We only need 2 pieces of information from you.
Specify your location to receive regionalized information.
You searched in services/administrative services.
Apply for permission to exercise the veterinary profession temporarily
Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Schleswig-Holstein (Linie6PLus)
If you have completed training as a veterinary surgeon but do not have a licence to practise and only wish to practise the veterinary profession temporarily, you need a permit.
The permit entitles you to use the professional title "veterinarian".
The permit can be limited to certain activities and employment positions.
It may only be granted or extended on a revocable basis and only up to a total duration of the veterinary activity of a maximum of 4 years.
- For a permit to temporarily practice the veterinary profession, you must submit an application in writing or electronically to the competent body of the federal state in which the veterinary profession is to be practiced.
- The competent authority will decide on the permit after examining your documents.
Who should I contact?
Please contact the competent authority of the country in which you wish to take action.
In Schleswig-Holstein, this is the Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Areas, Europe and Consumer Protection (MLLEV)).
In order to obtain a permit for the temporary practice of the veterinary profession,
- you must have completed training as a veterinary surgeon.
- you must not have been guilty of conduct which makes you unworthy or unreliable to practise as a veterinary surgeon
- you must not be unfit in health to practise as a veterinary surgeon
- you must have the necessary knowledge of German for the job at level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, and
- you must have proof of a specific job.
Which documents are required?
The following documents must be submitted:
- Application for permission to temporarily practice veterinary medicine,
- proof of citizenship (certified copy of identity card, passport or proof of identity),
- proof of professional qualification (veterinary diploma, examination certificate or other veterinary qualification/training certificate),
- if applicable, certified proof of asylum recognition, permission under the Residence Act or possession of a naturalisation certificate
- Signed curriculum vitae in tabular form: up-to-date, concise and with a detailed, chronologically complete description of the training and professional career
- Certificate of the future employer about the possibility of employment and justification (e.g. employment contract, needs assessment)
- Proof of no criminal record, certificate of good conduct for submission to an authority (this proof may not be more than 3 months old at the time of application).
- Medical certificate stating that you are fit to practise as a veterinary (no official medical certificate required, this certificate must not be older than 3 months at the time of application).
The documents can be sent to the competent authority without any specific formal requirements.
Note: Foreign language documents must be accompanied by a German translation. The translation must be done by an officially sworn document interpreter. Diplomas and certificates of veterinary training must be submitted in a certified translation.
What are the fees?
The procedure costs money. The competent office will inform you about the costs. The costs often depend on the effort required for processing.
Additional costs may arise (e.g. for translations or certifications). These costs vary from person to person.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
The application must be submitted before you start working as a veterinarian.
A decision on the application will be taken within 3 months of the submission of the complete dossier.
What else should I know?
Further information can also be found on the website of the state government of Schleswig-Holstein.
If you cannot be granted a licence to practise veterinary medicine or be granted permission to practise veterinary medicine temporarily, the competent authority will check whether it is still possible to authorise the exercise of certain veterinary activities. The authority will contact you in this case.
Veterinary intervention prior to the granting of permission to temporarily practise the veterinary profession may result in criminal prosecution.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.
Technically approved by
Ministry for the Environment, Agriculture and Energy of the State of Saxony-Anhalt
Professionally released on